Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My SX Jazz Bass copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey guys - I have to tell you. About a week ago I read a thread about "Is this a good beginner's bass" - something like that. I learned about these "SX" basses - I looked at the one the poster was looking at, and for $99.00, plus the "thumbs up" everybody was giving it...I thought "how could I go wrong?". It has something like a "quilted" pattern, sunburst, gold hardware, and rosewood fretboard. It came (I think) with Diaddario flatwound strings, and I don't even really understand the difference between flats and round wound, because they are all round when I look at them! Anyway - I have never owned a jazz bass. I have a MIM precision, a RIC 4003, and a MM Stingray. I learned about which knob did what, so I set it up for full up on just the neck pickup and tone full up - no bridge pickup. I don't know if I have ever heard anything this nice! To me it is like the perfect blend of a RIC (with that piano like tone) and a precision ( great low end). Is this crazy? I am taking this bass to practice tonight, and I am scared that I am going to like it too much. I just cannot believe how good this bass sounds and plays. No wonder Geddy switched to (of course the real thing) jazz basses, and no wonder they are so popular. I had no idea you could get such good low end out of these by using just the front pick up. Maybe I'm just easy to please, or ignorant, but the looks, the feel, the balance, tone, it's all there.

Please tell me there is something wrong with me. I love my $99.00 bass!

Skel

2. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I've been aching for a new precision myself and was wondering how the SX precisions are. anyone have any good/great/horrible experiences?

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm sure people have had great experiences with the P, check the SX megathread :p

And Congrats on teh bass - I've got the same one in 3TS and I paid 40 bucks more for it in January.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You like it. That is all that matters.

The strings are the OEM equivalent of XL170s. They are light gauge rounds. 45 to 100 IIRC.

5. I tip my hat to ya Skel. I got the same make and model as you, and I think it's absolutely amazing. When I got it, I had a list of mods ready to go. Now, I'm afraid to change anything, the tone is so good.

What really blows me away is the fact that these girls come equipped with a one-piece neck. None of my other instruments have this. Even my $600 B.C. Rich. That in itself speaks volumes about the quality of these instruments.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

6. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    stop!!!! I just spent all my money on a car!! I was just about to order one of these basses when my old car broke!! NO more saying how great SX is!!! wait until i get a little bit of money again!! Just kidding!! rant on!

7. This one's for you JoeyZ:

Those SX's are the most miserable pieces of crap I've ever played! What a joke selling these instruments for 100 bucks! They're not even worth 20! You'd be better off stringing yarn to cardboard and a toilet paper tube. The tone's about the same!

Feel better? :)

Another thing about those SX's............they make me look like a shrimp. :D

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    BG Man - You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Out of curiosity though, what specifically do you feel is wrong with the SX bass? Is it the wood materials (alder, maple, and rosewood), the hardware, the pickups, the tuning machines, the electronic wiring, the frets, the neck adjustment. truss rod system, the finish, the pickguard, strap holders, etc.? Is it the manufacturing process?

What specifically do you find that makes this instrument not worth $20.00? You say they sound bad. In what way? Not enough low end, high end? Do they lack clarity or punch?Could you please discribe how they sound bad to you, and why you think this is?

Thanks - Skel

9. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Skel,
    A little over a month ago I got an SX Jazz Fretless Lefty ("Rosie") and I love her ...I mean it!!!
    Mine is red sunburst (which I think yours is) and it's gorgeous to look at. I really lucked out on this because it's a fretless lefty which are really hard to come by and no one in Toronto had one. My buddy who owns a Fender Jazz fretless came over and couldn't beleive it, the feel and tone. I love the feel of the neck on it and the tone is simply amazing, like BG I was thinking of doing some mods on it ( strings and pups) but I love it just the way it is. Next to my Ibanez (my main squeeze) it's the one that gets played the most.
    So enjoy your SX!!

10. Actually Skel, if you look a couple of posts up, you'll see how I'm raving about my new SX.

I was mostly bashing them to make JoeyZ feel better about not being able to buy one now. It was all for show :)

Fact of the matter, I am very much in love with my SX and have never been happier with any instrument. This bass makes me want to play, even when I physically don't want to. It's just got that kind of magnetism to me.

But in all honesty, it really does make me look like a shrimp. :D

11. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    OK, just to make things clear.

a) They are dirt-cheap.
    b) They are well made.
    c) They sound good.

One word answer please. ;)

P.S. Sorry for the apparently stupid question. I read some of the posts from the Megathread (It would take a lifetime to read the whole.) I just need the whole to be sumed up to a single Yes/No. The story is that I am selling my bass (a mahogany six stringer with Bartolini p/u's and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp) and for the money left I want to get a cabinet for my amp and a nice bass, since it really IS possible. From what You all say - I can get 2 basses, the price of the shipment to Europe included and still have some money for the cab. :confused:

12. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Hey guys been away from here for awhile. I will recieve my first SX on Sat and am stoked. I ordered the jazz two tone sunburst with gold hardware. If it looks 3/4's as good as the pic i will be lovin it. I read the mega thread and got hooked. My question is the strings...Change or keep? I like D'addaro pro steals on my series 10..love the piano tone. The info from rondo says they come with D's but are they round wound or flats? what srtrings have you SX's found to be the best? :hyper: Cant wait to get her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    They're flats.

I put some elixirs on my SX and fell in love again - punchy and deep.

14. This probably belongs on the megathread but I too bought an SX because of that same post("Is this a good beginner's bass"). I was reading all of of the recommendations and couldn't take it anymore so I ordered one. I just have to say that my MIM P-bass is now my backup. I could not be happier with the sound. It did take quite a bit of set up to get the action right and intonation set but it is sure worth my hundred bucks. I am trying to talk my wife into letting me get a 5-string now. :D

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Bg Man - Oh - I didn't notice you actually like them! Sorry! But why *do* the make you look like a shrimp? You have my curiosity going on that one - I have the jazz, and I don't notice it being extra *large* or anything:)

Skel

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    BTW guys - I have a confession to make: I *tried* so hard to like my MM Stingray. I have said in posts that I've had trouble with it, then I liked it, then I didn't again. I've just been flaky regarding that bass. Today I returned it to GC and in place of it, got a brand new candy apple red Fender Precision (American made standard) with maple fretboard. Man, what a relief! I love this bass so much. A person who sold me my SVT-4 PRO on eBay was telling me he didn't like them either, because of the unfinished neck. Then it hit me...that was it! Or at least part of it. I just could not get used to that heavy, thick feeling that felt like I was playing a piece of unfinished lumber or something. I'm really glad there are so many others who like the Stingrays - they are just not my cup of tea.

I also got my SX '57 precision today. Again, what a fantastic bass guitar - sunburst with a maple fretboard - it sounds and plays beautifully. In the 30 minutes that I have compared my black MIM precision (rosewood fingerboard), my new red precision (maple fretboard), and my sunburst SX '57 precision, I would say it's about a 3 way tie, but the SX is the best looking of the 3. They somehow age the maple, so it really does look like a '57.

A couple more things - I played the red Fender through what I first thought was an Ampeg BA-115. It turned out to be a BA-210SP. This amp sounded incredible! Great low end with nice tight punch.

Last, sometimes the guys at GC get a bad rap. But sometimes these guys are the best. They may not know everything there is to know, but if you find the right GC store - they will bend over backwards for you.

Skel

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Nice MIA P score. Yes, Guitar Center does get a bad rap and for some of the guys at my local store, they deserve it! But there are a few guys who are much better than them and give you the service that you don't get in most local small shops. Which GC did you go to, if you don't mind sharing?

It's interesting to hear that between a MIM, MIA, and SX Precision, that the Essex is ahead (if even by a little)! I'm sure as you have more and more time with it, you can let us know what makes it better than the rest (hint, hint).

Great review of the Jazz, I'm sure one will come soon enough of the P.

18. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm about 5'7, 180 lbs. I used to be a boxer, so my build is fairly good. But, when I wear this bass, it makes me look like a kid trying to pay his daddy's guitar *LOL*

I have the same problem with Fenders though, if that helps. I figured that the SX would have reduced proportions, just because of the price. I was wrong. This thing is about the size of your typical Fender. Nothing wrong with that of course, I probably just need to hit the weights again. :D

19. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Bg Man - Trust me - at 5'7", you look fine. Nobody else would give it a 2nd thought. Even Angus Young didn't look funny with his SG, and when I saw him, he was about 4'11", so just think of him when you are feeling like a shrimp!

GC threw in 2 sets of strings for me and I wanted Fender Super Bass 7250's, but they were out of them. So, they suggested I try a few other brands. I got RotoSound Swing Bass 66 standard guage roundwound, and D'Addario XL ProSteels roundwound. I'm going to put one of these sets on my SX jazz, the other on my SX precision. Without really knowing why yet, I will say that my MIM precision, and the SX are both a little louder than the MIA precision. Must be pickup adjustment or something.

Again, I just kind of popped into the store to make this exchange for the Stingray, and I was playing the red precision through that Ampeg BA-210SP, just because it was sitting there. I was SO blown away with this combo amp! I got home and checked it out on their website - learned that it is a 220 watt amp, not 100 watts like my BA115. I'm going to spend some time checking this amp out again, and if it continues to blow me away, I'm going to trade my B2R head, and my BA115 for one, but I don't care about the built in effects, so I'll be going for the standard BA-210 (not the SP version). This could be a gigging amp, it has enough power.

BTW - I played a gig last night - nothing is more fun than playing a gig at a bar that is packed the whole night! I hope they have us back on a regular basis - great bar - even had the girl fights going on, and the bouncer breaking it up - it was great!!!

Since we didn't mic the guitars (long story), my B2R / SVT410HLF needed to fill the room, and it totally kicked butt! One of those nights where you know you should have written down your settings - I was getting the tightest, punchiest tone I've ever heard out of that rig. I think it's hard to judge some rigs until you get them out into a bar and crank it up - it sounded so much different than it does in our little tiny bedroom / rehearsal room.

Skel

20. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Just one thing to say about the pickups and them being louder - some are just plain hot, especially teh SX ones.