Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Synth Bass Dilemma

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jondog, Nov 2, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I really like synth basses. So much so that the Korg G5 doesn't quite do it for me -- I like real synth bass controllers. I got a Roland GR77B and GR33 controller and really liked it except for the huge pedalboard. Then 1 string went intermittent on the GR33 so I had to stop using it. Then I bought a PV Midibase. The synth part goes in a rack so that's much cooler, but the triggering on it requires that you learn a new fingering style and the sounds aren't quite as fat.

Now I found a guy who will swap me his GR77 (the '80s synth bass w/ the stupid stabilizer arm) for my GR33. My dilemma is that my GR 33 is a very nice bass -- think Ibanez Musician but w/ a set neck. I'd like to get the intermittent pup repaired, but the only guy I know that might be able to do it charged me twice his estimate (without calling) on the last work he did for me. :(

Do I trade a nice synth controller needing repair for an ugly synth controller, or do I just teach myself to play the PV?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would take the GR33 to a different repair guy, if you can.

Can't you use the PV to trigger other modules via midi?

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Finding another tech willing to tackle a 20 year old synth pup will not be easy. Or cheap. I trust the 1st guy's work but do not want to reward him w/ more of my business.

Both the PV and the Roland will trigger other synth modules. Cooler sounds don't do me much good w/ the PV until I train myself to finger w/out coming to rest on the next string.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm not following the PV technique thing. I've tried one and didn't have to change my technique at all. Care to elaborate?

As far as the repair goes, do you like the GR33? If so, make it work, regardless of money. Confront the repair guy and bust his chops over the last job he did. And then pay whatever it costs to get it fixed. Money will come and go, but gear is forever.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    In the manual they call it the "Bump Factor." If you come to rest on the next string too hard, it triggers it as if it's an open string. I find that I also have to come up from under the string in more of a plucking action to get it to trigger right. These are relatively minor glitches that I'm not too worried about when the whole band is playing, but when I'm solo mistriggers are very bad. I gigged it for the 1st time on Halloween and was all by myself w/ a cool organ patch for the opening of Toccata and Fugue in D minor -- it did not go as planned. :(

Anyway, I agree about the repair and money and gear. Money is only money, synth tones are pure heaven! Today I got the GR33 back out and the string has not gone intermittent yet. I'm going to keep playing it and if it goes out again I'll have to talk w/ the tech. I've pretty much decided against the GR77 at this point.