1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My take on the Gruvgear Fump mute

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. After seeing it used on youtube I bought two of them and my experience is that they are not a perfect replacement for just foam. The good thing is that the bass does not go as sharp as it does with foam. So it's possible to switch to the Fump on the fly without retuning. But I have to get the Fump as close to the saddles as possible to prevent rattling. For two of my basses with Badass bridges I had to file down one side of the Fump to be able to slide it in between the strings and the bridge.. On my B to G 5 string J bass it only stopped rattling when I slid the Fump in from the bottom.That works fine. I have another 5 string J bass strung E to C 100 to 30 light strings . On that bass the Fump did not work at all. On my P bass it works pretty well, but my action is low and the bottom side of the Fump needed to be filed down a lot to fit onto the Badass bridge. I also had to mess with the tension screw. I'm not sure if the Fump is meant to slide in from the top or the bottom. I think it works better from the bottom.

Stumbo likes this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    A review from Sweetwater's site:
    The idea of the Fump is great - slip it over the strings next to the bridge and bingo, you've got a palm muted sound - almost that of a plucked double bass. Looks classier than a hunk of foam shoved under the strings and quicker to put on and take off. Sadly, the Fump I received did not contact the strings evenly. E and A strings were nicely muted but the D string rang out with essentially no muting and the G string was hit and miss. The 'jaws' of the Fump were simply too far apart to contact all the strings uniformly. There is no provision to adjust the clamping force. Fortunately, the 'jaws' of the Fump are held together with a screw. I disassembled the unit, ground down the area where 'jaws' meet and reassembled. Now it works. (Dremel comes thru for me again) Way overpriced for what it is now. If Fump would build it so the distance between the jaws could be adjusted they'd have a winner. Sweetwater service, however, was splendid as usual. Pleasant and easy shopping. On time delivery. Sweetwater is the best.
    by Waltzing Gorilla on March 31, 2017
    Music background: Retired pro/hobby and church player now.