My take on the MTV Music Awards...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I watched the awards show last night -- for the first time in years. The last time I remember watching the MTV Awards was when I was in school. I couldn't wait for school to start because it meant that the MTV Music Awards were just around the corner!

With that being said, I was very disappointed in last night's show. I thought the writers did a horrible job (normally, I think Jamie Foxx is pretty funny and last night he had some good bits, but overall I think he didn't get much of a pop) and the presenters for the most part, sucked! They had little style and their delivery on some of the material was horrid. All-in-all, the program seemed "thrown together." There were skits that didn't go anywhere (Chris Kattan and Julia Stiles' interpretive dance bit) and jokes that didn't seem to have a punchline. Also, most of the show seemed to be dominated by boy-bands and rap groups -- which is okay if that's what you like. I enjoyed U2's performance (what was the deal with The Ramones?) and thought Mudvayne's outfits were pretty cool, but other than that, the high point of the evening was watching Britney shake her ass with a big snake on her shoulders. Man, I wanted to be that snake! :eek:

EDIT: Does P-Diddy have to be the center of attention all the time?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Didn't catch it, and proud of it, though I am glad that Mudvayne won the MTV2 award.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

But I'll bet that you didn't want to be on her shoulders!;)
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Christoper Walken.

I kinda like it. I mean, it was Christopher Walken dancing around. Maybe if you were familiar with his body of work as an actor you might get the joke?
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Mudvayne got an award?! Aaaawww, now i have to watch...
  6. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    I was yelling in victory when they announced Mudvayne as winner of the M2 award.
    I.....kinda' like 'um.

edit: Madvayne LOL
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I tried to stomach a few minutes out of morbid curiosity.

But I couldn't help but remember this whole thing is a carefully orchestrated charade. Any winners were only winners among the talent that Viacom and the recording companies they sleep with allowed to make it to the big time.

Viacom owns MTV, VH1, BET, CBS, and 160 radio stations in the 12 largest markets, (as well as Paramount, Simon & Schuster, and Blockbuster). These guys pay $20 grand to get a peep at youth marketing research called "Look Look." One of the games is, "You want your recording artists to get radio airplay and video exposure in heavy rotation? Then here's the kinds of bands market research says we want. Don't sign any bands that look any different or have anything different to say than what our marketing research says sells. Let the tiny indie labels sign them and spend their money developing those bands and if some of them break through, just buy the indie label. Now, go out and get 200 more N'Synchs and J-Lo's."

Their strategy in youth focus groups isn't, "Would you be P.O.'d if your favorite bands promoted soda and clothes?," but rather, "How can we use these bands to promote soda and clothes without getting people P.O.'d?"

There are only a handful of these massive, conglomerate, entertainment companies and they own 4 of the 5 music recording companies that account for 90% of total music sales in the USA, 80% in the world.

As Robert McChesney, Communications Professor at Illinois U. said, "Everything on MTV is a commercial. That's all MTV is...there is no non-commercial part of MTV." MTV's President and VP of Programming were part of this discussion and didn't deny it or object to it. :rolleyes:
  8. I'm glad my parents weren't in the room when Mudvayne accepted their award, if you know what I mean ;) But, anyways, that drummer likes to talk.
  9. well as for mtv i really dislike it. but brittney spears is hot and i like staind so i had to check out the awards. i think stainds performance had a lot to be desired. there bassist just rocked back and forth and there guitarist just wanted to see how far he could bend ovver while playin. and brittney. i mean she looked hot but musicly i hate pop anyway but that song was particully bad. and ive seen japanese movies that were in better sync with the words than she was. i give it 2 thumbs down.
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    No, I did not. As a matter of fact, a particular song jumps into my head, even as I think of her performance -- something along the lines of "Tube Steak Boogie." ;)
    I whole-heartedly agree, but it was not necessarily her mouth that I was focusing on. :D

Brendan: I get the joke, Christopher Walkin was (and is) entertaining, but I didn't see him do anything 'cept introduce N*Stink. :( Maybe he shoulda did his bit from Pulp Fiction and talked about having to hide the trophy in his a**? :D
  11. I thought the awards generally sucked, they didn't even try to hide the fact that it was scripted, and you knew who was going to win most of the awards before the whole thing started. But on the plus side, mudvayne, the ramones and brittney.....................ahhhhhhhhh Brittney:D :D :D whoops:eek:

Get my meaning
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  13. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    another vote for rick!

i watched mostly just the performances, staind was pretty cool, linkin park was ...... well i dont really like them all that much, a. keys was pretty good ( i liked it better when she was playing 'fur elise' ) and brittney spears was the normal "look at me arent i pretty!! im so hot! lets hear it for me!!" as she makes an effort to make the performance as "sexy" as possible without having to actually become a stripper. btw, insult was pretty good. conan last night was awesome.
  14. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    what about Alien Ant FArm. I thought their opening performace went pretty well. As for everything else, it is dominated by pop and rap, which is pretty sad.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Aaawww, I wanted to see AAF! What song did they play?
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I thought the show was ok, it couldve been better. I loved when Will Smith came out and was busting on Jamie Foxx.

I was glad that Nsync won a few of the awards they did, the dance one mostly, cos imo those guys can dance pretty well. It wouldve been great to see Fat Boy Slim win that one too. Mostly because of Christopher Walken, it cracks me up to see him dancing like that. If ya have comedy central and can catch the reruns of Saturday Night Live, keep and eye out for the one he hosted. He does a singing/dancing skit. Its funny!

IMO The best group award shouldve definatly went to U2 and NOT Nsync. I like Nsync but sorry that one should've went to an actual band, Not a vocal ensamble. but its all a popularity contest.

I liked some of the presentations as well. I thought Linkin Park did a pretty good job, and U2's was excellent!! I even liked Nsyncs but they were definatly a bit off compared to when Ive saw them live. Britany shouldve been brought out back and shot after her presentation for lipsyncing it. That was very very tacky imo.

I also liked when Mark Wahlburg came out and introduced Stained, he said "real musicians" i took that as a shot against the boy bands for some reason. ;) that definatly didnt help the pop scene any.

I thought mudvane looked totally ridiculous. pretty decent tune tho.

17. hell yeah. aaf was the best performance of the night. i mean i love bands that are energetic and move around. thats why i didnt like staind. toooo depressing.
  18. my take on the awards -

AAF performance was pretty good

Staind was horrible, I normally like their stuff, but after seeing them play that, I dont think I'm going to see them play live anytime soon. Mushok looked like a total dufus the way he bounced up and down and his guitar was nearly touching the floor while playing.

I was happy that Mudvayne got the M2 award, even though I don't like them too much.

U2 was awesome

N'sync got too many awards

Limp Bizkit won the best rock video award, and all i have to say is "who picks who gets these awards anyways? this is the 3rd year in a row they've won this!"

Linkin Park = Stinkin Crap (their performance of "one step closer" sucked IMO)

Michael Jackson can dance

Surprised that Backstreet Boys didn't win any awards (i find it a little funny, actually)

The Ramones making an appearance was very very awesome

Ian Robinson (the coolest MTV VJ IMO) said it best how music today is basically all product.
  19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i also find funny that Brittney didn´t get and award also :D

i enjoyed Michael Jackson return

Mudvayne deserved that category

I loved the way Christina and Pink dressed up...

uhmmm.... besides all that it sucked!

let´s give a score: