Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My take on the Wishbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M.R. Ogle, Nov 16, 2004.

1. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    You know, after reading the threads on the "Wishbass" I was compelled to post pics of my Walnut/Bubinga Peanut, #74. I knew very well that fit and finish were not Steve's strong points, so I ordered it completely unfinished. I gave it a gun-oil finish, which really brought out the bubinga's color, and put a couple o' carved scroll sides on the headstock (he graciously left me a big blank chunk of walnut on the end to do this). Installed Lace Sensor P-bass pickups with Cocobolo tops, concentric vol/tone control, a Carvin bridge, and got rid of that godawful sheet metal control plate and made a cocobolo/maple laminate one. This bass is fretted to 12, then fretless below the 12th fret... an experiment that's not entirely successful, but I wanted to try anyway.
    In short, I just had Steve Wishnevsky do the "roughing out" of this concept, then I finished it off the way I wanted. If you do this, you can get a really cool bass, or just experiment, for not much money.
    It does sound unique... mine's very deep, and woody. Records very well.

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Wow! That looks so much better w/out that lame metal control cavity cover. Nice job man! Post some sound samples.

edit (jt): we don't tolerate intolerance around here.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's definitely nicer-looking that most Wishbasses-particularly the headstock. For the fretted/fretless board to really work, you'd need to raise the level of the wood on the fretless part, so it was even with the height of the frets on the fretted part.

4. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Yep. You're right! It works okay everywhere except "fret 13"!! :meh:

5. Sounds like a triscadecaphobic bass. :D :D
    By the way....GREAT MODS! I really dig that gun oil finish! Looks GREAT! Now you can even take her on hunting trips with you :D

BTW...I'm making similar mods to my wishbass...refinishing, new bridge (saddle pieces from an indi bridge...works GREAT and no drilling). I'm going to install a P-bass wiring kit, chrome dome knobs and a 3-way switch for (split, parallel, series) on my humbucker. I'm also installing a chrome thumbrest (my bass NEEDS a thumbrest).

As far as the coverplate. I don't have a problem, because my bass is routed from the back :). Although I am seriously considering applying a maple laminate over it as part of the refinish project.

All these mods for LESS than $100. As far as set-up and playability. Well, thats ALREADY in place :).

TAKE IT...CHANGE IT....MAKE IT YOUR OWN...THIS, my friends, is the Wishbass spirit. :)

6. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    That's what I'm talkin' about!
    I can't get most bass builders to sell me a "raw" one that I can finish off my own way, but Wish will do it!
    By the way, here's one more pic of the Wish's pickup tops and control plate, both Cocobolo.

7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    nice pup covers!

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    What sort of discount, if any, did you get by getting it unfinished?

Troll

9. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    I don't exactly recall, but I even though I wanted upgraded bubinga wood, a truss rod, and a couple of other things, I think the charge was about $300 bucks. But this was an early WishBass #74, a few years ago, so the prices may be a little higher now.
    MRO