My tattoo Idea

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 5intheface, Dec 19, 2005.

1. 5intheface

Dec 18, 2004

My drummer/best friend recently turned 18 got his first tat. He got a caricature of Frank Zappa's 'stache and goatee on his right shoulder. Very cool, very him. Same design from the FZ plays FZ album. He wants the Ship Arriving Too Late to Save A Drowning Witch design on his back, but I told him to wait before he does that.

But here's a tattoo I designed, though it's not very orginal, I like it a whole lot. Maybe that and a Jaco stick figure, if you'd like I'll post the other ones I might want too.

What do you think of the Bass Yin-yang?
  2. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    There are two things I'm obsessed with right now: bass and tattoos (the word "tat" is a major pet-peeve of mine). I got my first on my right shoulder when I was 17. 21 now and haven't regretted it a day in my life. Personally, I like that idea and have never seen it before. How big were you thinking and where would you put it? Above all else, don't let others persuade or dissuade you from your choice. It's a permanent decision and should be yours alone.

imo, on the upper arm, the processing of getting the tattoo isn't painful, just irritating. The real pain comes about an hour afterwards. :D

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Give yourself as much time as you need before getting inked to work the idea out.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Also when you're ready, get your first one a little bigger than you think you want it.. If you don't you'll wish you had later...

I have about a dozen more I want to get..

5. I like the design, but I'd change the colour of the dot's to contrast the background, I think it would look more balanced with black dot's on the white background and vice versa. Right they blend in a bit too much for me
  6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Your drummer has hair tattooed on himself?
  7. or you could put the black clef on the bottom and white on top, it would look even more like a yin yang and might flow a bit better. Just food for thought, I used to work in a tattoo shop working out designs with people, this thread is making me nostalgic ;)
  8. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Here's mine to be

I should be getting the first part (snowflake on right peck[I hate that word]) done in the next month or so.

I plan on reworking some of the flowing parts as I intend to have the flowing part matched on the other side and something else to compliment on my back.

The part underneath the main snowflake is going to be moved down and to the left overtop my ribcage(yes, ouch) and a few other minor changes.

Designed by my friend Brandi Dimitroff after I gave her some specifics.
  9. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    Good luck to you SnoBassMan. I talked to an artist at a very popular shop in Cali and she said all the shops regular customers agree that the most painful spot to get tattooed is along the ribcage (aside from the head and top of hands).

Yeah that makes alot of Sense Mark, i have been itching to finish up my upper sleeve its just so much $$$$ and lately GAS has been winning out over new ink :p
  11. Both look good. Good Luck to ya.

I work on the medical side of life, and get to see lots and lots of old tattoes - (and yes I'm tattoed myself, so insert bias :cool: ).

The one thing I've found when observing other peoples tatt's is;
    i) Keep it simple enough so that you can get it touched up over the years.
    ii) Avoid using too many colours, as they degrade over time
    differently - red and especially blue spread and go blotchy quite quickly. This will also depend on the tattoo studio too.
    iii) Make sure the tattoo artist is GREAT at what they do - ask to see samples etc... Make sure you're not their first victim.... :scowl:

I've seen some absolute corkers - some that were really bad, spur of the moment for sure - so take you time!
  12. Ive got a couple right now, and give yourself as much time as you want to make sure you want it

Also, make sure you find a good tattooist and get them to do it, dont go with the cheapest or closest to home (unless they are obviously the best around)

They are very addictive! the one on my arm is the first one i got done, and it does look alot better in real life than in that picture, which, for some reason i dont like the look of it there (altho ive seen other pics of it where it looks fine, i can never seem to find those ones!, so i just use that one which got stuck on BME a while back)

They were done by morag sangster at Tribe Tattoo ( )

Isint that the truth !, Nice ink , the Clan must be proud :)
  14. Cheers :)

Yeah its a family thing to do, my dad has one on his arm, and people on his side of the family have them on thier backs and arms too, so, its something i wont regret, im just realising how blotchy it looks in places, and how the writting looks fadded, it doesnt look that bad at all, honest, that was just after i got it touched up and the skins a tad raised in places :)