Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My TB Custom fretless 5 in progress!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Feb 25, 2004.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, I've been talking to TimmyB here on TB (funny initial coincidence eh?) and I'm finally gonna get a slick custom 5'er fretless! Here's some of the specs:

Fretless Tenor 5 tuning E-A-D-G-C
    Flamed maple top and back
    Alder body w/ wenge accent
    3-piece maple/wenge neck
    ebony fingerboard w/ inlay
    Satin Nickle/Chrome hardware
    Bartolini J-pups
    Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp

Here's a shot of the top
    [​IMG]

More pics to come! It should be done some time this summer :D

2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I appreciate Byron's leap of faith in letting me take on this project, since my stuff isn't exactly available for tryout down at Guitar Center :D . I think this thing is gonna turn out nice, and I can't wait for the weather to improve a bit so I can get back in my (unheated) workshop and get rockin' !

This is my "Arcadia" body style; it will be similar to the bass in the center of the pic, except in a fretless 5-string:

3. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Sweet looking basses!!!!!

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok, here's two more images, one of the side (back laminate isn't on yet), and another of what will be the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey Timmy-Hows that essex working out for ya? It looks beautiful! I never knew you were taking orders...

7. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Well I had to temporarily rob the strings off the Essex for another project, but I'm definitely keeping it around. I'm diggin' the vibe...it's the first Fender-style bass I've owned.

Thanks, glad you like the new Arcadia. :) I'll be feeding Byron pics of the build progress, so stay tuned!

8. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Lookin great! Make sure to post clips when you get em!

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Will do! I'll try and get solo as well as with my band for comparison. For reference, I normally use a Czech Spector tenor 5. The bass should be done around June, according to Tim's estimates...I can't wait!!!

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That looks sweet!

11. That's cool how you are taking a chance and letting someone who isn't a well-known luthier (even if he can really be considered a true luthier (because he is kind of just started out doing this AFAIK)) make a bass for you! This should hopefully help TimmyB get more well known if we wants to keep doing this and hopefully make some good scratch off of it! This bass looks like it will be a sweet one. Can't wait to see the finished results and I'll keep subscribed to this thread to keep updated.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Thanks Tyler- I based my decision off Tim's past work, which looked and sounded quite good. He also has a very good satisfaction guarantee, which tells me he's going to do a nice job and stand behind his work. Everyone has to start somewhere right?

13. So true! I saw his past basses he made and was completely stunned at how he fixed up the neck on that SX. I think it will be a good bass. Good pick on the pickups and preamp too!

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok.. here's a shot of what will be the neck. I really like the wood myself. It's maple/wenge/maple.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Very nice.
    I'am to thinking of tenor 5-string.
    Love Hi-C.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Man, that baby looks nice!

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yowza!!!! Looks great!!!

18. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    New pictures!!!

The bridge isn't in yet, but here's what it's going to look like:
    [​IMG]

And there is an acoustic chamber in the upper portion of the body- the back laminate will go over it. Get that warwick infinity thing going, haha!
    [​IMG]

19. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    More Pics!!

The f-hole got cut adn the back panel is now on. The falme doesn't show up much because there is no finish/moisture on it.. don't be fooled. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]