Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MY TB email notifications are being screened as SPAM !

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 5, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I use Yahoo for my email and just yesterday for some reason my talk bass email notifications were going to the bulk folder being labeled as SPAM :eek: ! I have tried several times to unlabel it but i have had no luck , any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Having the same exact issue. They're doing it to one of my daily comic feeds too. Might have to e-mail them and give them a piece of my mind...:scowl:

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I don't use my Yahoo for TB messages, but when I check my 'Bulk' folder, there's a link to turn Spamguard On or Off.

Also, highlight one of the messages, and see if there's an option to mark it as 'not spam'.

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Send me a PM with your email and I'll send over a Gmail invite ;).

5. I have a yahoo account but don't use it anymore, most of the spam comes from them.

I just checked it for laughs,

Inbox 439 (unread)
    Bulk 16 You know,.....where the spam is supposed to go.

No one in my family or any of my friends send mail to this account, just one or two monthly mailers that I have not unsubscribe from.

Beside the yahoo stuff I get things like "Christian bill removers", "looking for your soul mate", "free $500 Visa" etc... I don't get this much spam at work!

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but if you use outlook express I can tell you how to make a folder just for talkbass.

6. I do get a bit of actual spam (ever since buying something on Alibris, I've noticed...), so turning off my SpamGuard isn't really an option. I've marked all my legit stuff as "not spam" and have it configured to then drop things in my Inbox as I do so...but it would be nice if I could go in and tell Yahoo to accept mail from certain sites...y'know, adjust the spam filters manually...

7. MAJOR METAL

I found all my TB mail in the bulk folder again after labeling a notification not spam.

8. Kevin, and anyone else concerned, this was happening to me last January, and Paul did everything he could to help me. (Thanks again, Paul ;) )

As it turned out, my company had just installed new anti-spam software which was viewing Talkbass e-mails as spam, and not letting them through at all. It took about a week for the computer guy here to figure out how to tell the software that Talkbass, Ernie Ball and a few other sites were OK, and should be allowed through. He did have to free these sites up one at a time. A real pain. :scowl: On the other side, it cut down on mortgage offer and X-rated spam 95%! :hyper:

I hope you resolve your problem.

Good luck.

Mike ;)

9. MAJOR METAL

Thanks Mike i will ask Paul for Help :)

10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I use yahoo and this happens from time to time.

If I have notifications in my yahoo mail I'll generally just open a new window and go to TB.

Yahoo sees this as me deleting a bunch of messages from one source. Under it's programming it assumes that I don't want these messages and begins to send them to my bulk folder.

To stop this problem, you'll have to keep tabs on what's in your bulk folder while this problem persists.

Go into your bulk folder, start opening up talkbass messages and click "not spam." This is above the message with -Delete - Reply - Forward - Not Spam - Move

After a small amount of messages, 10+/-, are clicked as "Not Spam" it will begin sending them back to your inbox as normal

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Gmail

'nuff said

12. MAJOR METAL

Cool I will try that ! :)

13. I love my small local ISP and their spam filter works fantastic, except that their own emailed invoices get caught by the filter. But you guys have my curiosity aroused. What is Gmail and why would I want it?

14. MAJOR METAL

I tried it no luck yet.

15. MAJOR METAL

Great News ! My Talk Bass Notifications have returned to my inbox ! :) :hyper:

16. Great to hear! Learned a trick to use if it plays up again though...if you get one in your bulk folder again, look up in the box where it displays who sent, who received, etc., and you'll find a hotlink option to add the sender to your Address Book. Do that. Anyone sending from addresses in your book will NOT have messages sent to Bulk. I did that with the daily comic they'd been marking as spam, and it's working like a charm. Will try with my next TB notification as well. :)

17. MAJOR METAL

Its happened again. :(

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    MM, do you want a Gmail account?

19. MAJOR METAL

What is that ?

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    google's email system... pretty spiffy.... :)