1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My TB Frankenbass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HEADLE, Apr 19, 2010.

1. So I bought a bunch of pieces and parts here on TB over the last 6 or 8 months and put them together and built this!

4536410299_f4c53dab0f_o.

4536394895_1ff4e99ebc_o.

Purely a trial and error bass that turned out to be an amazing player.

Specs:

Ash "Dinky P" body with a purpleheart cap.

Maple/Maple MM "p" neck with gold schaller tuners and gold inlay dots.

Pickups are a Schaller/Kramer P and a Dimarzio model J, with a spector tone pump pre-amp. (This mother is HOT!)

Original Badass Bridge with custom machined saddle slots.

Schaller Strap locks.

It is currently wearing dunlop medium nickel roundwounds.

I need to take it apart and sand, polish, and poly the body and seal the neck and put my logo on it.

My original goal was to have no black on this bass at all. except for the side dots, the trussrod hole, the dimarzio poles, and the pawprint on the headstock I achieved this. Dimarzio was going to custom plate some pole pieces for me but it never happened.

Originally the J was closer to the bridge and the p was farther from the neck. I hated the way the neck sat on the dinky body and cut the neck pocket 3/8 of an inch further into the body, efffectively moving the location of everything. I'm glad I did because I love it. I'm still debating the pre-amp. I may pull it and go all passive. We'll have to wait and see. In the mean time I've been gigging it for several months and it's truly an amazing bass. Oh and I just added the pickup cover last week. It gets a little closer every day!

H

Thanks for all the good parts TB!

2. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    i like it! i bought a purpleheart neck for a guitar a while ago before i really knew anything about the stuff and i've been a fan ever since. you may have said and i missed it; is that a jazz ashtray cover over p pickups?

3. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I see that is NOT a Penn State pawprint on the head. :)

4. Jay you are correct. I didn't know when I ordered it. It barely covers them and actually just shows a hair of each pickup on the top and bottom. I kinda like it. One of these days I'll take it apart and finish it.

Randy that Pawprint is an omage (sp) to my band Love Dog. You can check us out HERE.

I think when I get it all finished and fine I'll get some of those 24k gold optima strings for it too. :)

H

5. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Love it except for the pickup cover. Really nice job.

6. Pickup covers are like that you either love em or you hate em. I love em.

H

7. No more love for the purple heart?

8. you did move the bridge when you cut the neck joint right?

it sounds silly but you didnt mention it...... it also explains why it looked like a short scale when i first saw it :)