Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My teacher convicted me of of destruction of property

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Jun 13, 2003.

1. I have to take summer school to be on track for graduation. Today In my english class, the teacher said to the entire class that someone in his second hour class found writing in one of the books we are reading. He said that written on many pages was "Turd Mcferguson" and on one page it said "Mr.Smith is a jackass", the teacher being Mr.Smith.

He then told the class that he wasn't offended by the words, but that it was destruction of property and they weren't his books.
    He told the class "If the person that does this stays after class, I will talk to them and then forget it ever happend. But if the person doesn't show up, I will have to take this to the principal and you will be expelled. I know who did it because I checked the writing on all your homework and found an exact match." He then went on with the rest of the day.

Well at the end of class everyone walked out and so did I but then Mr.Smith said "Eric, please come here." So I did and then he sat me down and said "Will you just come clean now?". I was shocked that he thought that I was the one that did this stupid immature act and said "No, I didn't do this." and he then showed me the writing in the book and the writing on my homework and I can say that they look pretty similar, but it IS NOT my handwriting so I said "Look, I didnt do this. My handwriting may look similar, but I didn't do this. He then says "Ok I trust you and I will check my second hours class homework to see if there is any writing that looks like this. I will get back to you on monday."

I have no clue what to do since there is no evidence in my defense and the handwritings do look similar. Now if noone else fesses up to this I may be kicked out of summer school despite that I didn't do this. Life can throw you some weird curveballs.

2. yeah...I have a few teachers who easily use false convitction,or whatever you call it..

*sigh*:meh:

He should first asked if you did it,then woulda said "well...the words are in similar hand writing"

Innocent until proven guilty.:)

:oops:

3. he accused you, he didn't convict you.

4. same thing...:)

5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It's Turd Ferguson (no Mc). It's funny. It's a funny name.

6. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    I'm a teacher at the college level and have had to deal with stuff like this before from the teacher's perspective*. Specifically I have had instances where a student turns in work to be graded (that they were supposed to do individually) and somebody else has written out part of the assignment for them. In a case like that, I can talk to the students about it and ask them what happened. Usually at this point the students either come clean or they honestly deny they did anything wrong. I usually take their word for it unless it's blatantly clear that they did cheat off each other (the two people made the same bizarre math mistakes, for instance -- something that goes beyond handwriting looking the same). In that case I send a report to the Dean and there is a meeting between the students and the Dean, at which time they can make their case.

The upshot is, if there's no hard evidence, a confession, or conflicting stories between the students, usually there is nothing the school can do. So that's good news for you. The "similar handwriting" thing doesn't make a very solid foundation for disciplinary actions. So I would say, if you are innocent, maintain your innocence and demand that the teacher/school prove that you aren't innocent. If they still do something to you, tell your parents and have them tell your school board.

A teacher doesn't have the right to target you and bring down disciplinary action on you because of "suspicion". There has to be proof. YOu're going to school, not serving a prison term.

Fight the man! :bassist:

* Well, actually nobody called me a jackass. Not to my face at least.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sad thing is, at school it usually is.

Peace
    Thor

8. My english teacher accused me of plagirizing one of my papers this year. I told him "I can tell you I didn't and thats the truth. But I don't expect you to believe me, and until you %100 prove that I somehow did, the burden is in your hands. If you have any further complaints, my dad would love to talk to you"

He didn't bother me for the rest of the year. Try it.