Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My theory on Yawning *yawn* -fear me! (read on to reveal some sense).

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Nov 24, 2004.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Good evenin' all!

I often think about trivial things for one reason or another and lately I noticed something about yawning: I spotted my cat yawn and then the other cat copying, at which point the smaller cat got up and strolled off, while the big cat remained on his turf.

I then though 'haha, small cat got pwned', then after a few minutes of humour thought of something a bit more intelligant that relates to humans ie why you yawn when the person sat next to you does.

My theory, embrace thyself, is that yawning evolved (in a sense) as a means for group members to compare their teeth and ultimatly their 'manhood' (more relating to cats etc).. if that makes sense?

for example, Neandathol A, lets call him Neil, yawns, triggering Neandathol B, lets call him Pat, to yawn too. This could be Neils voluntay or involuntary method of telling Pat that he's more manly, at which point Pat yawns back to challenge Neil. The victor (however victory in teh game of yawning is measured), then triumphs; ie if Neils teath are better, Patwill bog off.

Any thoughts?

2. Har! I got more teeth than Trog. You Gorp? Me chew good.

I mean, who knows? I just love when a good yawn reaches that apex, a point of satisfaction when you KNOW it was a ssatisfying yawn.

And cats are just silly. ;)

3. * yawn *

I just pwned this thread. :D

Or did it pwned me? :confused:

P.S.: I actually yawned while reading this thread! So I guess your theory just fell to pieces, since I didn't see someone yawning!

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Actually, thats proved it moreso - your natural terratorial yawning instincts kicked in as a result from the virtual stimulation - of which the yawn process hasn't yet had time to catch up with in terms of evolution ie it knows not when to not express it's authority in such un necessary times.

5. You know whats really hard?

Holding back a yawn. Or trying to force a yawn.

Hard stuff.

6. Aliens. They're controlling all of us. They're making us yawn for some diabolical purpose!! Wear your tin foil hat!!

Rock on
    Eric

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Maybe the other cat just had really bad breath.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The reason that yawns are contagious is because the the first person sucked all the oxygen out of the vicinity. The next person needs to yawn to keep from passing out. Simple, really.

9. I think the theory Benjamin Strange put forth pwned all the others.......

10. Even outside?

11. Tez

Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia
    you guys really need to keep up on your medication!! :rolleyes: (Yawn)

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    (Slowly backing out of thread)
    "I see..."
    (runs)
    :p

13. As Far as Alpha dominence is concerned, I'd rather just lick myself like a dog. :D

Mi d0g pwn3d j0ur Cpt

14. I've heard that the contagousness of yawns is meant to synchronize the sleep habits of groups of animals so that they all go to sleep together.

- Dave

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I always thought people yawned when they were tired.

-Mike

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I read the thread title... thought about a person yawning... and then I yawned!

Of course, I'm also pretty tired.

17. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    [Teen angst] Who cares? We're all gonna die anyway. [/Teen angst]

18. I yawned when I clicked on this post

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, you're probably right. Other large primates (baboons in particular) use yawning as a display of superiority by showing their fangs.