1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My theory

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Toastfuzz, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The the original famous bass amps were the tubey Ampeg SVTs through 8x10s, delivering a natural midscoop... the original famous bass guitars were P basses, known for its infamous midrange mogo. As the amps+cabs were cancelling out the bass, and guitar+drums+vox taking over the remaining frequencies, is this the basis of why we are generally ignored by our bandmates and the general music listening community?

2. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    .. Precision basses are mid-scooped..

3. Mid-scooped compared to what? I'd say they're pretty middy (if yo boost the mids with a P-bass, it sound more like a P-bass).

4. I think it's more because we aren't raging egomaniacs, like all the other musicians.

5. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    SVT's are anything but mid scooped.

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    +1 on the mogo typo.Great analogy , mogo , is a typo.:)

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    When I need another bass to sound like a P-bass, I boost the 1 to 1.5 kHz slider. No, P-basses are not "mid-scooped." Quite the contrary. Having a pickup with two coils that have a moderate resistance to impedance characteristic wired in series boosts mids.

I used to own an SVT head. I would call it heavy, expensive to maintain, and tone until the 22nd century. But not "mid-scooped."

8. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    I don't think sound has anything to do with how bassists are perceived. I personally don't think it's anything more than the fact that bass in its classic role is a rhythm instrument, not a lead instrument. The spotlight is rightfully on the lead vocalist/lead instrument player. Our role is a supportive role. Nothing wrong with that, nothing demeaning about that, but it doesn't justify the spotlight. In the classic pop/rock form, it's vocals/guitars/keys that are creating the melody, which should be the focus of the song. The bass is tying the melody and rhythm together. Very important role, but a supportive role.
    Your original statement that Ampeg SVT's/810's were the 'original famous bass amps' got my head spinning so bad I won't even start. I'm assuming when you make such a statement that you were around in the 60's? I was. Started playing bass in 1965, and I can tell you the first bass amp that I can remember causing a buzz in the bass community, and what we now refer to as GAS, was the Acoustic 361 bass stack. And as an avid concert goer, I'll tell you that you saw many more Acoustic rigs onstage than Ampeg. Not dissing SVT's at all and their important role in bass history, but even though it hasn't maintained its status like the SVT, the Acoustic was at least equally, if not more so, the original "famous bass amp".

9. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I was following you for the 1st sentence, then you went all goofy. Cancelling out the bass? The only limitation is power and speakers, and they've gotten better at handling bass. Forty years ago you'd see 3 stacks of 8/10s and a couple of 18s at a concert driven by multiple tube heads. Now a smaller set up does much more. (Or are you talking about bass guitar in general, not bass frequencies?) John Paul Jones, Felix Pappalardi and Jack Bruce RULED with low end and cutting mids. Any bassist being ignored is a case of a wimpy, insecure person/player, a bass hating band or a mix of the 2. There are bands built on bass! Even classic records from the 50s had tons of bass on them. What are you talking about? Making Your individual problem general for everybody? Stop that!

10. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Speak for yourself. I'm the lead bass player, and the singer, and the songwriter. I'm three kinds of awesome.

:bag:

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Don't disagree will you Freight train, but you could interpret that as perception is in the eye of the beholder.
    IE: whichever bass part makes the song, I won't name any one tune because everyone can rhyme off a number of the ones that do it for them.

12. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    ps, I thought your theory, which is yours, was going to be that the brontasaurous has a very small head, gets much wider in the middle, and then has a narrow tail, by Ann Elk.

13. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    HAHA me too. I'm the most raging egomaniac in my band.

14. I think that its because unless you have pretty good sound equipment, most music is mixed in such a way that the bass is either buried, or its overpowered and shakes speakers.

Most people have a laptop, cpu, car, ect with factory speakers or a standard boom box. Factory and standard radio do not handle bass registry well.

15. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    No doubt. That's how I have always heard music - I am drawn to rhythm first, so what tends to get my attention is bass & drums. And if that's not happening, it doesn't matter how good the song itself is, it doesn't have the qualities that appeal to me first. There's exceptions to that, but they're few.
    But I don't think the average music listener hears it that way. I still maintain that what was driven home to me when I started my recording career is still true - for the average listener, the vocal is the key. If that's not right, everything else is practically beside the point. That's what the majority of listeners key in on. In a large generality, no one cares how good the lead guitar player is except himself and other guitarists, no one cares how good the bass player is except himself and other bassists etc. But practically everyone else outside of musicians cares how good the vocals and melody are, and everything else is window dressing.