my thick body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassheart, Aug 25, 2003.

1. bassheart

bassheart

Aug 24, 2003
    hello

i am about to embark on build my own replacement bass body out of bubinga. bubinga is dense, its going to be a bitch to carve, but the hardest path leads to the better destination.

my question for you is, my bass body is made from swamp ash and is almost 2 inches thick, should i be looking to use the same thickness with bubinga? how do the thickness effect the sound?

cheers

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The hardest path does not always lead to the best destination.

In any case, a solid 2" thick bubinga body will be heavy. Can you get bubinga locally? Go lift a chunk and see what you think. 1.625" seems to be a popular thickness.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I would personally use a lighter wood for the body and then do a Bubinga top.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry I have to ask, but is this for your Warwick Corvette Standard, because (as I mentioned in the other thread), they already have bubinga bodies.

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are corvettes with ash bodies aswell.. I did a gig with a fretless one, pretty nice!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I know the Corvette FNAs and Corvette FNA Jazzmans do, and the Proline is made of maple, but the Corvette Standard isn't available with other wood options than bubinga-at least not for a while now. Was it a very old model?

7. you stil can buy a ash corvettes stnds from guiatre center new. its that the just dont stock them or if they do they have a finsh and u think its a proline.

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It had a wenge neck so it wasnt excactly new, but it's not that old, or uncommon. I've seen several.

9. i have a 97 stnd but it says proline on the trussrod cover explain that.