Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my thick body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassheart, Aug 25, 2003.

1. bassheart

bassheart

Aug 24, 2003
    hello

i am about to embark on build my own replacement bass body out of bubinga. bubinga is dense, its going to be a bitch to carve, but the hardest path leads to the better destination.

my question for you is, my bass body is made from swamp ash and is almost 2 inches thick, should i be looking to use the same thickness with bubinga? how do the thickness effect the sound?

cheers

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The hardest path does not always lead to the best destination.

In any case, a solid 2" thick bubinga body will be heavy. Can you get bubinga locally? Go lift a chunk and see what you think. 1.625" seems to be a popular thickness.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I would personally use a lighter wood for the body and then do a Bubinga top.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry I have to ask, but is this for your Warwick Corvette Standard, because (as I mentioned in the other thread), they already have bubinga bodies.

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are corvettes with ash bodies aswell.. I did a gig with a fretless one, pretty nice!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I know the Corvette FNAs and Corvette FNA Jazzmans do, and the Proline is made of maple, but the Corvette Standard isn't available with other wood options than bubinga-at least not for a while now. Was it a very old model?

7. you stil can buy a ash corvettes stnds from guiatre center new. its that the just dont stock them or if they do they have a finsh and u think its a proline.

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It had a wenge neck so it wasnt excactly new, but it's not that old, or uncommon. I've seen several.

9. i have a 97 stnd but it says proline on the trussrod cover explain that.