1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My thoughts on emg P&jX

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Jan 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I got a brand new schecter Nikki Sixx last week with the EMG X stock, no preamp. It's a maple body neckthru.

I flat out just don't like the sound. I am a fan of emg P&J and I've had em on many basses including Spector. I have a set on my old Ibanez SR. They seemed weak, dull, lackluster and very clean. I tried messing with pup heights, I usually keep the J up higher to get a more biting sound. Not with this bass, and that was after putting on my rotoound 66 that I have on all my basses.

Today I did an experiment, I swapped the Ibanez emgs with the X and BAM! Good old emg sound though brighter due to the maple/neckthru.

I don't see why there would be such a difference? Dig this, when they were on the Ibanez, they sounded more like regular emgs while the regular emgs in the schecter sounded about the same as in the Ibanez. Strange stuff here.

ctmullins and kikstand454 like this.
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I definitely prefer the regular EMGs over the X series.

3. Didn't Know they are that different. :wideyed:

4. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Can't find it now, but I read on the EMG web site that the "X" pickups have an updated preamp with more headroom and less compression.