Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Thread got deleted....

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by RawBassist, Nov 6, 2003.

1. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    I made a thread about a band that i'm supporting... and somehow it got deleted.... I don't know why, because there wasn't anything objectionable on it. I was doin my job for the street team... Any clue as to why it got deleted? I'd like to know...

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You should be directing these questions via a PM to the moderator(s) of the forum you posted in, not asking in a thread...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

HD is right - but you mean SPAM/Advertising in forums - which is against the site rules? :meh:

I suggest you read :

http://www.talkbass.com/forumrules.php

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is why if I were mod, I'd PM people after deleting there threads. But that's just what I'd do. :oops:

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Is that a fact? Tell me, are you willing to spend all your free time explaining your actions?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yes, that's a fact. I'd call that doing my job. I know there have been a couple times I've had threads deleted that seemingly the only reason for it being deleted was because the mod didn't like it. I'd like an explaination. And I PMed an unnamed mod about a problem I had with this and they replied that they didn't get my message?! :meh:

Also without a friendly little note from a mod, odds are if it's something little a person won't know why their thread was deleted. If the mod would take 2 minutes (on a 56k modem) out of their day to PM the person or add a note at the bottom of the thread (this is what you are doing wrong) we'd probably get less repeat offenders.

Edit: Unless of course it's something absolutely ridiculous (racist, sexist, blatanly offensive remarks) then I think they know what they did wrong and in that case they should just be banned.

7. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    It wasn't spam.... and it wasn't for my personal gain at all. the rules say this...

The posting of non-solicited advertisments in the forums will not be tolerated. Examples include starting a new thread for the purpose of advertising a product for your business, or posting an ad to a pre-existing thread that does not pertain to the thread's topic. If you submit a post about your business, be sure it is worded tastefully, on-topic, and not a generic SPAM. Moderators have absolute discretion. Please contact TalkBass to discuss link exchanges and advertising opportunities.

First of all, I don't have a business. Second of all I don't have any products to sell if I did have a business... I didn't add to any other threads or anything. I was just supporting a local christian band, that in my opinion rocks! All I did was tell who they were and where people could go see them. Anything wrong with that? And Yes... A PM from a mod would be nice explaining why your thread was deleted.... argh...

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, I'm with Stupid on this one. I mean, it's not like you delete 180 threads a day. And yes, if you can't explain your actions, then no action should have taken place, period.

VOTE 4 MATT.

Wait...

9. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    The mods are all doing this on a volunteer basis (I think anyway). If someone wants to know why their thread was deleted PM the mod. It's a waste of their time to have to reply to every post the delete because someone didn't read the forum rules.

It seems like the ones where it isn't obvious why the thread got closed they leave a post saying why.

10. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    ok first of all, I didn't have a chance to see if there was a mod on the thread that had posted, I didn't even get to see the replies that had been made... A PM would have been nice, but i don't even know who to ask about it....

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well, you must know which forum you posted in - e.g. Basses, Misc., Off Topic etc.

If you then go to the forums page, it tells you at the top, who is the moderator for each and you can click on the name and then PM them.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

What do we do when the a mod ignore us?

Edit: Normally I fix typos I find like "the a" but I found this one hilarious in my current tired state, so the stupid remains the same.

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ah, it is funny. Well. it's late over here , to.

But for right now, your effin' charlie chaplin.

ha. the "a". ah. damn thats funny.

14. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I got a thread deleted over in the basses forum asking about if i got a good deal on my bass.
    I thought my internet was broken when the thread just disappeard.
    There are three moderators over there, im not going to PM all three of them, and annoy two of them to find out why my topic was deleted, when it would take a few seconds for the MOD who deleted my topic to send me a pm saying that he did delete it, then i could ask a reason if i needed one, which in this case i felt i did because the thread didnt break any rules.

Like someone else said before its not like every moderator is deleting 100+ threads a day, id say its closer to one or two, a PM wudnt hurt that much would it?

15. Bruce Lindfield

You can send one PM and include the 3 in the message recipient field and just start by saying you don't know which deleted it, but would like to know what was wrong, to help you in future - this would probably have taken you less time than you took, to post in this thread!! :meh:

16. Bruce Lindfield

I do tend to agree though that it would make good policy for Moderators to PM the thread starter, if they delete a thread completely - as this can be disconcerting.

If Mods just close or lock a thread, then you can see what happened and usually work out why - but when it just disappears - you don't know whether it has been moved an you can't find it, whether it has dropped off the scene due to large numbers of new threads etc. etc.

Could we suggest to Paul that this be made a mandatory requirement?

So - a locked or closed thread needs no additional communication - but if a thread is deleted and just disappears - then the moderator has to PM the thread starter (unless they are an obvious troll who is going to be banned) - this would make it all a lot clearer!

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bruce, threads almost NEVER get deleted unless there's a rules violation. And if a thread is moved, a redirect is left in the original forum. Offensive posts within existing threads do get deleted on occasion, which should come as no surprise to anyone.

Seriously - if you make a post or start a thread that's against the rules, why wouldn't you expect it to disappear?

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well - you may say "almost never" - but I've seen quiet a few threads disappear which weren't in any way offensive to me!:meh:

Is it really so much effort to PM the thread-starter with one line to say "your thread was deleted because it was against rule 'X'" ?

My view is that this simple action would stop a whole load of speculation and save everybody time in the long run.

19. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    ok, mabye when i get home i will PM john turner and ask him if he knows why and who deleted my thread, i doubt he will have much information for me.

20. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I wasnt aware that i could send a PM to more than one person at once, so at the time, i would have had to write 3 seperate PM's Anyway, i sent JT one, ill let you know how things unfold, and if i understand what rule i broke.

Damn, JT's inbox is full, and i had typed so much.......