Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My thumb is being treated like a king for Xmas.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm in the process of upgrading my thumb for the Xmas thang.
    So far, I ironed out every single ding, dent, scratch, and anything else of that sort, sanded it, and waxed it. It had some dings from the previous owner, and from the early marching band season (Before I got the SX). But, Wicky is okay now :).

I got off the phone with Dana B. Goods and I ordered Gold saddle thingies, gold tailpeice screws, and the original brass just-a-nut.

Finally, I'm getting the EMG JV set, and a special EMG BQC system with a stacked volume/blend knob.

I'm lovin' it and so is Wicky (Dubbed "The African Warlord" by my marching band buddies). WOO! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Those are sweet pickups you're getting. I have a set in my gold Valenti and I love them.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    :). I just have a slight preamp problem. I would need the volume knob wired by someone else, or I coudl get the 2 band. I think I'll just go with the 2 band for now.

4. I think you need to give it to me

5. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    How were you able to order a brass adjust-a-nut? I would love to do the same thing, however the guys @ WARWICK didn't recommend it. I would still like to change it. Was it easy to do?

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I loved the tone of the thumb nt 5 I had at one time. It's just too bad it was sooooo hard to play standing up. Bummer really. Wish I could find that tone in another bass.

7. oh...the thumb bass...boy did your title throw me off!

either way, EMGs are pure awesome...i am thinking about throwing a set in my fretless jazz bass!

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I called Dana. He said they had a few lying around, and the dude threw in bridge stuff for free.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I found mine tough at the beginning to play standing, but I just got used to it. It's easy now :p.

10. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Must just be my size that makes it difficult. I've got long arms and I still can't hardly reach the first position.

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    that's odd. I'm 6'1" and I can reach the first position easily.

12. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah, but how "thick" are you. I'm 5'11", but kind of skinny (see icon :) ). With the smaller body and horn, it makes the neck stick out further.

13. I've seen him, he's just a tub of lard. He doesn't even use a strap. He just sticks the horn where he wants the bass and it stays there.

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm a skinny bastard.

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    LOL!

16. that MUST have been you in front of me at the tones show then. way before they went on, you were up fron chatting with some people.

maybe...=\

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That was my band instructor. He's the large one. I have the afro. I was the skinny tall one with the hair, hanging with my other two friends (the girl and the short afro one). The other two older guys were my band instructor and the jazz band guy.

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I totally did notice that. I usally play it on my right side a little bit so the neck is at like 10 o clockish.

19. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Ahh. I tend to play mine high, so it's difficult for me to get that angle. I should have stuck it out, it was a sweet sounding bass. Enjoy yours!