Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My thumb (not slapping)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Jan 7, 2002.

1. I've been reading a lot on here about keeping the right thumb planted on the E-string, or a pickup or pickguard, and what I now know is called "the floating thumb" technique. I realize what I've been doing is the floating thumb. I've tried both techniques now, and I'm wondering which is better to start with. I find it slightly easier to plant when I'm playing stuff with a lot of crossing strings, and for making long, slow stuff sound smooth and connected. I find it easier to float when playing eighth notes on the same string, and easier to keep the other strings from ringing. I'm getting a teacher soon, so hopefully they'll help some, but while I'm learning on my own, which should I learn? Or should I try to keep using both? I play mostly fingerstyle and have no real desire to slap or pick yet. I don't want to have to relearn a technique if one or the other will slow me down or make me more sloppy than the other. I just happened to think of this while watching some other people play on TV.

2. Don't really feel qualified to answer your question, but I'd be intersted to see some responses (bounce) .. I sorta do both?.

Used to be mainly anchored to a pickup / E string, but i have a new 5-string and now I'm finding i need to "float" to keep everything muted ...

3. Shumph

Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    My teacher is teaching me floating thumb.
    thumb is off the strings when playing E string
    thumb is on E when playing A string
    thumb is on A when playing D and G strings.

It really seems to cut down on anoying buzz and such.

Hope this helps

S

4. IME When you're moving your thumbrest from the bass strings to treble strings - eg thumb on E --> D string - you can keep the *back* of your thumb against the bass strings to keep them muted ...