1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Thunderbird by Mike Lull

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Mar 30, 2009.

1. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    At long last my LullBird is done!
    I picked it up from Mike on Friday afternoon before going out for the eve with one of my bandmates, so I didn't get a chance to play it until Saturday night's rehearsal with the band, it was really hard to go to work that day when I just wanted to be at home playing that bass!..............All can say is WoW! it's so nicely made, Mike's attention to quality just really shows in every detail. I really love the pick up, the tone is aggressive with a pick and it felt like fit in the mix with the band really well. I guess all of you that have 60's Birds know the sound, I can definately say I'll be getting at least one set of the pick ups to retro fit my Nikki Bird, they just sound so fantastic....
    Here's a shot of the body in pretty strong afternoon sunlight, the shadow across the body is from a window pane and if you notice, it curves a bit where the upper bout has a nice arm carve. I need to note here that it was my original intention to use Scott Dasson's bridge on this bass, but because it's specifcally designed to fit the original Gibson Mike had trouble making it work, so we opted to use his instead. I'll likely be using mine for my Greco Thunderbird II now.

orange011.

And a shot of the back showing the tummy cut ( I don't need that, no tummy on this girl!) the shaped neck heel and a nice cut on the backside of the lower bout to give better upper fret access.
    orange004.

Heres a shot of the upper bout, you can see both the arm carve and the tummy cut.
    orange010.

Of course it wouldn't be one of my basses without a shot posed by the Subaru...........
    orange015.

A bit better inside shot with it's case, it goes back to Mike for a brief once over in about a week, at that point the chrome bridge and pick up covers will be added.
    orange026.

And it's certificate, as you can see it the third one built after the two prototypes, the first "production" bass and the only single pick up version so far .........and be warned the last shot is as I went pick it up, you've been warned Drag Queen content :)
    orange022.

As I said I was on my way out for the evening when I picked it up from Mike's shop, so I was dressed appropriately. Mike was a really good sport! he took this shot
    As you can see the color has shifted in this pic because of the poor fluorescent lighting........gotta talk to him about that
    whitebird017.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Awesome Mark!

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow! That 'Bird is killer, congrats (great job by Mike Lull). I've never had a chance to play a '60s T-Bird, just the recent ones--I'm sure there's a world of difference.

4. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    Kinda like a T-Bird P Bass, or dare I say a P-Bird! :ninja: I think it would suit me well...............:cool:

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nice! Umm, I meant the bass....

How is the balance?

6. Nice Bass!

7. so im rolling along the pictures and my inner monologue is going "neat color.. not a 5 string.. hmm.. could be a maple fretboard... well it looks well constructed.. ohh.. pretty case. even a cert of authentici- HOLY ****! WHAT THE ****!"

i hadnt looked at the name or avatar, and im sure you know that you command a lot of attention. took me by surprise. teach me to be on my toes haha. apparently i missed the disclaimer. :D

nice lookin' bass

8. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Sweet bass! need clips...color reminds me of a hot rod truck I saw once.

9. Out of curiosity, why a bolt on neck? Beautiful bass by the way. I've been sorely tempted to get a T-bird recently but The Warden says no way right now.

10. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Sound anything like Mike Watt's opening line in:

In The Engine Room

11. AMAZING bass! COngrats and enjoy!

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nice looking bass, congrats. I've always liked T-Birds. The forearm and belly contour are great!!!!

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Looks great. I personally would generally go for a 2 PU model, but I really like the placement on yours. Likely really comfy to play....

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    :D

15. Dammit, just when I thought my "need" for a T-Bird was gone.

Sweet looking bass. Very nice. Clips?

16. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Thats awesome....I wish I had tried one of these at Namm but time was short.

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Awesome bass! Must sound killer.

18. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Single pup versions looks so clean & cool. Love the paint on this. You can taste those gummy orange slice candy just looking at that color.

19. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

20. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Love the color, nice choice!