Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My time in hell

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Well folks, I just got back from the hospital after being gone since Thursday. As the five of you who pay attention to me knew, I've had kidney stones that have been hell on me for a long time. I'll give you the whole scoop...

Tuesday/Wednesday: They know I'm going in thursday, and they want to do one last test that involved some weird x-rays. My preparation for it? Clean out my bowels! So tuesday night I had to drink some weird drink (which tasted like buttt) effectively cleaning my bowels to oblivion, and effectively made me miss the Further Seems Forever concert. :mad:

Wednesday was the test. Some discomfort, not alot to report there.

Thursday: Surgery. I wake up at 5:00 am so I can be there bright and early for surgery. After waiting a while here and there, at 7:30 I go in to the operating room. They say It'l last 2 hours, and I'll be gone in a day. I wake up at about 6:30 pm, and they said "congradulations, you made it out of 9 hours of surgery" Which I replied with lots. of. vomit. Anesthesia is hell on me. I puked several times that night. Eventually I just puked out plain bile.

The surgery was awry. The plan was to go through near my belly button and enter my kidney like that. Bad idea, cause my kidney was too inflamed there and they couldnt reach the stones. They finally decided to go through my side as the last resort, which was the only way. Thats the reason that made me stay there several days, because of the several layers of sensitive tissue they cut through. It's also the reason I still have 2 tubes coming out of my side that will remain here for 2 weeks (which prevent me from doing alot....like going to school..hehe). If they had gotten everything through the belly button plan, there would have been less tissue torn, thus less tissue to heal and I would have been %100 by now.

Friday: No more puking, but I'm feeling so much pain. They hopped me on morphine which controlled alot of the pain. It hurt to pee. Really badly. And its bloooood red. One of my nurses (who is a woman) had one of the manliest mustaches I've ever seen. Grossssssssssssss. I watched the UN address. The TV has about 50 channels. 30 were news channels. Gah.

Saturday: This day was alright. I actually got out of bed, and sat in a chair! Big problem though. My bladder had filled with so much urine it had overflowed and I was going through spasms, which is -the- most intense pain I've been through. I was screaming. So they stuck a catheter in me, which for the unacquianted, is a giant tube they shove up your peepee hole to drain your pee. That hurt (fella feel for me here). My sister visited and took all the attention towards herself, and then ate all of my food. :mad:

Sunday: I'm feeling alot better, almost enough to walk! I layed in bed for the first half of the day, doing whatever. No more catheter! YES!!!!! Today I wasn't in alot of pain, but I was feeling really lonely. I had some relatives visit...but the lack of peers visiting me was nil (other than my cousin..a good pal). I was so lonely and feeling pretty emotional. 'Twas a sad day for me. That evening I was feeling much better. Rumor had it I'd leave monday. Sweet. I can eat whole food again.

That night I had a strange revelation. Maybe it was the Tylenol #3 in me, or the adult swim on cartoon network, but I was feeling like a million bucks. A new me emerged. A new me that wanted to jam on guitar and make love to several women. I have alot of new ideas for songs and my fear of asking out women is almost totally gone. I had felt God.

Monday: I feel like a million bucks. I get up and I walked for the first time since thursday morning. They say I'm fit to go and I do. Now here i am typing this.

sorry I couldnt go as in depth as i wanted...but im feeling woozy and I think i'll spare you guys some of the crap i went through. I'm Back. :)

2. sucks that that all happened, but it good to hear you're doing better, man!:)

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that's pretty cool!
    welcome back!

(yes i was one of the five people worried) :)

4. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    im already nauseus [​IMG]

good to hear your feeling better though, i like the feeling better part alot more than the pain part.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ouch! Good to see you made it! Sound awful.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    w00t! glad you made it through ok.

7. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Glad to hear about your recovery.

way_of_opiatism, love the effects..;)

8. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I was worried about you too, buddy! Glad to hear you've come out of it all with such a spirit! Sorry to hear about all the pain and anguish, but that's just a means to an end my friend. Indeed.

Rock on Jakey-boy (or should I say man?) :D

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Good to see youre feeling better buddy!

Peace
    Nick

10. glad your back and doing okay. sounds like you went through hell. the catheter, ouch. all of it, ouch. :bawl: :D

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jake,

Sorry that your surgery had so many complications. Normally, they do go in through the belly button. Your infection must have been bad!

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Get well soon!:)

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

And hope for no further complications.

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

I second everything! Take care and Im glad your feeling better.

Is there any chances of you going thru this again with the kidney stones?:(

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    New creepy avatar,,, what the hell is it?!?!? (So the time space thing doesnt get all wacked up, Odies avatar at this time is some weird dude that looks like he was wraped in saranwrap)

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, hospitals rule! RULE!

Lemme tell you about heart catheterization. OK, maybe not.

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Glad you're through the surgery. I'm sure you'll continue to feel better!! About the catheter - ouch man! That's just so.......ouch......would bring a tear to a glass eye!:eek:

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You mean you didn't want to make love to several women before? :confused: :D

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's just Odie copying the <i>JT pre-emptive maneuver</i>.. you know, picking out one of the Hellraiser monsters as an avatar to scare off the newbies before they get to spam the forums :rolleyes:

Edit: Or then it's Rob Halford without his usual glasses. Can't really tell. :eek:

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

Tsal- :rolleyes: Its spreading. Did you see Hategears?

20. there are some in my right that are very tiny...and its way too dangerous to operate on 2 kidneys at once...so for now I just pray they'll pass soon where I won't feel them.

Of course man! :D But when you're laying in a hospital full of manwomen nurses and no attractive female in sight it really dampens your week. :bawl: