Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My tiny rig is coming together! Stewart, EA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Mar 5, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I just snagged a Stewart World 1.2 for $350 shipped, and an EA Cxl 110 for $325. Gonna use my Raven Labs PHA-1 as a preamp.

Later, I'll get another EA 110 (stereo PA! Yeah!), and perhaps a more flexible preamp. As it is, I hope to have a kick-ass versatile rig that will work for bass and jazz guitar.

I dunno tho.. think the Stewart bridged will be able to power that 110? :D :D

Getting rid of my Acoustic Image Contra combo for this setup (See classifieds) -- I'll let you know how it turns out!

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Could you tell me a little about the Raven Labs PHA-1? Does it give you an accurate representation of your bass like if you were to go through a DI? I was looking to split my bass signal into the PHA-1 and a Demeter 201s and then go mono into a 2.1. I love the tone in the studio when I mix my mic signal and the direct sound. I think this may get that sound; the bottom beauty of the Demeter and the clarity of the Raven Labs. Thanks.

You should check out the new Raven Labs two channel preamp.

3. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    The PHA-1 is a super-clean hi-fi box with a very musical 3-band EQ. No coloration at all -- it's great for guitar as well as bass. Just like a DI box.

The aux send, line out, and stereo mix in jacks on the back give you some extra versatility.

I've been thinking along the same lines as you -- using the PHA-1 for the super-clean tone, and a coloring preamp for some variety.

I'll let you know how it sounds when I get the rig together.

Just picked up the EA speaker! What a beauty! So compact and light!

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Here's my tiny rig!! Walter Woods and a CXL110. Killer!!!!:bassist:

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    NMB,

sweet little rig.

but have you tried a Bergantino 1x12 with the Walter? i've heard guys faint over that combo. :eek:

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Yes, I tried the Bergie. I liked the EA MUCH better!!:bassist:

7. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah! :spit:

Hi-five to NMB :D

This is killing me... I've got the Clx110 right here, and nothing to drive it with until tomorrow...
    :bawl:

mmm... Walter Woods...

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks junglebike. I look forward to hearing what you think.

9. I love the Ravens Lab stuff, and use all 3 of mine in lots of ways. But I don't love the tone of them direct into a Power Amp. They sound a lot better with a Demeter or other Preamp to warm them up.

For a while I was using a Master Blender and a Stewart World 200 brick along with an EA VL-110 for bass and mic on small gigs. That was pretty compact but kinda sterile.

Aloha,

Jonathan

10. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, it's the ultimate hi-fi!

What's the point of using a preamp in conjunction with a Raven Labs?

As I see it, the point of Raven is to leave your sound the same (only add eq). If you wanted a colored sound, why wouldn't you *just* use a Demeter or whatever?

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, this is kinda getting political,

but IMHO, electric basses' onboard preamps and their pickups dont really sound all that great by themselves, even when run DI'ed into the board.

but, tube preamps with a good inherent character and voicing make MUCH better tone shapers. some players like myself, then go as far as to say the voicing of the cabs themselves add even more gorgeous character.

but of course, if you love what your bass sounds like straight into the board, or if you're running an acoustic upright, you'd want as uncolored, and as transparent a sound as possible.

my buddy, actually, loves running his acoustic guitar thru my EA/Acme combo... he says its an awesome portable PA rig for him!

12. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Right -- I understand why people use tube preamps (I was an electric guitarist first! Know any non-jazz guitarists who'd be willing to go straight to board? :D

My question was: why would you bother using the raven stuff at all? Do you blend the two tones?

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just more tonal options.

i've seen guys use a preamp within another preamp's effects loop.

E.G., my buddy used to slam an SWR Interstellar Overdrive in the effects loop of his Demeter 201s for some max overdriven tones.

in the same way, a guy who likes his upright tones to be as clean as a whistle, would likewise flip on his SWR IO, or Sansamp RBI, or Sansamp BDDI, in the effects loop when he wants to go fusion with his Pbass.

so you've got both suuuuuuper transparent, and dirty in your rack.

14. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Perfect. That's what I'm going for.

When my wallet recovers from this latest orgy of acquisition, I'm gonna invest in "dirty"...

and another Cxl110...

15. Robert Fripp is the first one off the top of my head, but he puts his signal through so much processing that you can barely recognize it as a guitar :p

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Not exactly "straight to the board":

http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/396/

:D

17. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
  18. Well, he doesn't like to use stage amps. :D

I'm pretty sure that a lot of his clean sounds are actually recorded straight to the board, though. I know that's how No Pussyfooting and Evening Star were recorded.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i read in GP (or was it Recording) that the guys from Garbage all go direct into the board with POD's during live shows.

they've got a few amps out, but there were merely for show. weird, eh?

20. "My question was: why would you bother using the raven stuff at all? Do you blend the two tones?"

I use the Raven Labs stuff to mix two (or 3) basses into one input. They are great to have a party or jam when folks show up and you need an easy way to plug them in, or add a mic. They also have a tuner out and a DI out.

The headphone one I carry when I travel for practice.

I like a clean sound sometimes, but different preamps that are "clean" sound very different.

Let us know what you think of the sound of it going stright into the power amp.

Aloha,

Jonathan