My Tobias Toby-Pro 4..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Nov 4, 2000.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've seen a lot of negative criticism about the toby pro basses on here and just wanted to share feelings on mine =] I got my pro-4 bass a while back for $429 (before the price increase) and think it was a wonderful deal. It's really quite a nice bass and has exceptional tone and sustain from the neckthrough construction. The neck is very sturdy and the action is quite low. I can basically get any tone I want from the bass and it stays in tune extremely well. The electronics don't have a great amount of output, but I raised mine a bit and tweaked the controls and am very satisfied with it. The electronics aren't all that bad, they aren't emg's or bartolini's, but they are very good for this price range and don't have that much more hiss then other "high-end" basses i've heard. The finish is beautiful the body is very comfortably balanced and easy to play. The string spacing is adequate and the slap tone is great. I give it 2 thumbs up =]
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I own a Tobias Toby Pro and I agree with the "Tone" point about the Toby.
    But remember, that the Toby's "Tone" is pure electronics, that means that the real Pickup/bass sound is practictly left appart.
    About being suitable for any style, I could say that it will do very fine with Slapping ang Growly Rock, for other gigs I dont think it has the apropiate sound.(Playing it with a pick sound very cool)

About the Neck and Fretwork, it is not that good. My Cort Curbow 6 String cost me $440 (That makes it in "The price range") and has Bartolini's, excellent fretwork, great neck, great sound, and an amusing hi-fi tone and output. I dont even have to use any EQ. (Sometimes i cut the mids for slapping , and sometimes I boost the Midrange for low end fingerstile, everything is done on the Onboard preamp)

The Toby has fretbuzzes if you happen to like very low action, and the rear pickup will give you a tone so thin and honky that it is virtually unuseable alone.

About Noise: I had to use the Treble WAY up to get a decent sound.. and that make it noisy.
    About the Finish.. YEs indeed .. it is Beutiful. The body shape is great and string spacing is adequate.

[Edited by lfabara on 11-05-2000 at 08:18 AM]