1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Tokai Basses!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spinal Tap, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Just bought these 3 Tokai basses last week :hyper:

Three early '80-ies Fender copy's
    Made in Japan.
    2 Hardpunchers: precision bass
    1 Jazzsound: jazzbass

[​IMG]

Very good quality, play great, sound fantastic. Especially the Olympic White Jazzbass. I played alot of vintage fenders, and these Tokai pre-lawsuit basses come very close to an original vintage Fender.

Tokai Jazzsound L-series they even copied the serialnumber!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I changed the necks on the 2 precision basses, so now they look like this! ;)
    [​IMG]

I really can reccomend these basses to everyone who is looking for a good P- or J-bass for a decent price:bassist:

Are there other Tokai owners on Talkbass?

2. nice basses. enjoy playing them. ive seem them on ebay.

How are the pickups in them? Are you going to replace anything on the basses or Mod? if so what and why?

3. Thanx!

I bought SD antiquity pickups for the jazzsound (because the bridge pickup isnt original)K It sounds fine right now , but those SD pickups will make it even better.
    The pickups in the hardpunchers are great. I've owned one a year ago, and now suddenly 2, and all those precision-pickups are great.
    No need for replacement

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Nice basses Tap. I'm a fan of the lawsuit era Japanese product too. I don't have any Tokai, though I've played a couple of the Hard Puncher P's (doncha just love some Japanese names) and liked them, even though I'm definitely not a Fender man. That said I've got a Greco P which is very nice. The birdseye top on it is half the body thickness, and even though it's 33 yo is still prefect.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46076&d=1164323525

What made you buy 3? Right place/price and time?

5. The seller of the LPB-hardpuncher also had the Jazzsound standing in a corner. We talked about it, and eventually he sold it also to me.
    The week before, I bought the other hardpuncher.
    Three is just to many, so the white Hardpuncher will be sold this weekend.

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I own a Jazz Sound that I wouldn't sell for ten times what I paid for it. GREAT BASS!!

enjoy yours!

GM

7. They have a brand new Tokai Jazz Bass at my local music store, plays and feels great, I enjoy it more than some MIA Fenders, for 365 €. They have a MIM Jazz next to it, for 1350 €... :D

8. I'm chartruse with envy ST. Those early lawsuit Tokai's are just about as good as it gets. I'm surprised they're not more expensive than they are.

9. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I love the Hard Punchers, those may well be one of the best buys out there in the Ebay world. I don't remember ever seeing a lawsuit era Tokai that I didn't like ....

I have a '68 Goya J that is from that crowded Tokai/Tiesco/Aria/Kent/Hagstrom group (mine is basically traceable back to Aria, which I think was produced at the time in the Tokai plant). I originally bought it to completely modify the bass, but within a few minutes of owning it I realized how amazingly cool it is.

Great basses, a little bit heavy but just tremendous players .... the LPB is sweet ..... :cool:

10. hey, another proud hard puncher owner here. i just love how solid the bass is constructed. as for the weight, i think i like it's slightly heavier weight compared to similar fenders as the body vibrated more when i play. i have no idea about its effect on sound but it definately makes the playing experience when i dig in more satisfying :)

my only gripe with the bass are the staggered poles in the pickup. i like to pluck around the pickup area so it gets a bit raw after a particularly long and hard practice session. i'm thinking of swapping the pickup out for a reverend 8.3k p pickup i have lying around. wat think you guys?

11. I wouldnt change the pickups for alot of money
    They just sound really good.
    If you don't like the sound, change them
    But otherwise, just lower them a little?

12. tigersuit

tigersuit

Dec 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I've been thinking about one of these for a backup. Sweet basses, especially the white P with the maple neck.

13. Keep the white one, and keep the maple neck on it. The invest in a tort pickguard.

lowsound

14. Thanx!

I still have the LPB one
    Sold the vintage white some months ago
    Now I also have a complete black Hardpuncher that I'am currently selling
    1 P-Bass is more than enough for me, and I just have to many basses
    But the vintage white was a great one

I really like these basses
    Can't recommend them enough to people!

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I guy I know that plays guitar loves tokai he says that they are better made than the fenders they set out to copy

16. They come very close to the sound and feel of '60-ies Fenders
    I'm very curious to compare my Tokai Jazzsound with a passive ('60-ies) Celinder that I'm expecting the comming weeks
    ...I really hope the Celinder is much better :p

17. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    I used to own a real nice '86 Tokai Custom Edition with Moon pickups

tokai.

18. Cool!

That black Hardpuncher looks very nice

19. hudson_lowboy

hudson_lowboy

Jul 15, 2007
    In a weird world and a state away, I may own this very bass now.

20. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    My Modded Tokai P :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]