1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Tony Franklin Encounter.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spectre Gunner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    View attachment 3191681 I attended a free Master Class at my local high-end guitar store (Replay Guitar, Tampa Fl) with Tony Franklin (AKA The Fretless Monster). If you're not familiar with Tony check out his bass work with "The Firm" (Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers and Chris Slade on drums) as well his work with David Gilmour, Kate Bush, Whitesnake, Blue Murder (Carmine Appice), Kenny Wayne Sheppard, and much session/live work with Roy Harper and too many others to list here.

He gave a clinic on the ins and outs of playing the Fretless Bass as well as inspirational and professional advice. He also shared a lot of interesting personal stories of his time with Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers and other A-listers he encounter throughout his career. Of course, it was a free clinic and he did offer up a lot of technical advice about what it takes to play the fretless proficiently.

Tony is such a great and approachable person. He stayed overtime just so he could answer everyone's questions and sign autographs. I brought in my Tony Franklin prototype ebony fretless neck which was made by the Fender Custom Shop when they were spec'ing out his signature model. He confirmed that it was in fact the very neck he used when he was working with Fender so that made my prize possession that much more prized to me. Tony is a legend on the fretless bass and one of those rare breeds that doesn't hide behind an ego. I hope to see The Firm get back together or at least to play live soon.

We are very lucky I'm Tampa, FL to have a Replay Guitar Exchange store in our area. They specialize in quality Guitar and Bass only. I also met Stu Hamm at another Master Class and Roger Waters just showed up shopping for a acoustic the day of his concert in Tampa recently. Word must be getting around and I hope this one stays here for a while.

By the way, he's working with Fender on releasing a Lake Placid Blue TF Sig model. I'll have to preorder one if Fender can get it done.

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I sent Tony an email once after seeing him play with KWS, I never expected him to reply but he did. Such a cool guy to take time out of his day to offer a complete stranger some fretless bass advice.

Dr. Cheese, Kitsapbass and RobTheRiot like this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Great story, thanks for sharing! I've always been impressed with Tony's playing. Good to know he's a good soul to boot.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I liked when he came around here after Fender released his fretless signature bass and talked about it. I got a good impression of him for that.

I just saw a picture of TF with his LPB (with matching headstock!) bass. Grey pearloid pickguard. It's a beauty!

Dr. Cheese and Kitsapbass like this.
  5. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm in the market for a TF Sig bass and as an afterthought I should have bought the black that was on the stage with him at the guitar store. I could have had him autograph it which would be cool. But now I might wait until the new Lake Placid Blue comes out. I hope it doesn't take too long leaving me in a state of limbo.

6. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

wow...they are really making the TF Fretless in LPB? Whens the due date on that?

Kitsapbass likes this.
  7. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    I'm jealous. :)

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That blue finish is striking! My Pedulla will always be my number one, but a Tony Franklin would be a great bass for developing unlined chops.

consectaneus likes this.