Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My top 2 influences played SS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    In doing some research, it appears that 2 of my greatest influences, JPJ, and Geddy Lee, used SS amps. JPJ used an Acoustic 360, and Geddy Lee used a Sunn Coliseum. Unless I'm mistaken, both of these were SS.

I realize that Geddy Lee used SVT's later on, but I'm starting to wonder what all the hype is on the SVT all tube head, when the best sounding bass recordings I've ever heard were done with SS heads.

Exactly who was so great back in the 70's that used an SVT? Bill Wyman? Great?

Skel

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You are more than likely not hearing amps on the recording. It's more likely than not that a direct feed is going on from the bass to the board. Any processing is added after recording.

Same for concerts - you are more than likely hearing a DI from the bass to the PA.

3. On top of what Seamonkey said, which is probably most likely, how do you know what they used in the studio? Lots of recordings were done with B-15s (or whatever) by players who used all kinds of different amps live.

Furthermore, why should it matter what your influences used anyway? It comes down to this: Play an all-tube SVT. If you dig what it does, buy it. If you don't dig it don't buy it. It need not be more complicated than that.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have read at least one article on Geddy Lee, and he says he used his Sunn Colliseum with a Sunn 2X15 cab in the studio. So, if he went direct, he is saying otherwise. It matters a lot to me what my influences used because understanding them will help me get the best tone for me. and last, I agree - I should, and have, played an SVT all tube, and I didn't dig it, and didn't buy it. But that was last year's version of it. I might like the SVT-VR. I'm sure Ampeg created this new amp for some reason.

I'd still be interested to know exactly "who" used SVT's - sorry if that pisses everybody off.

Skel

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    What will really bake your noodle is when you find out that Geddy uses a blend of both SS and tube live.

OMGWTFBBQ!!@

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado

No, I realize Geddy Lee currently uses a very sophisticated array of different signals. I really liked his tone on "Fly by Night", though. And if somebody told me JPJ used SVT's. I would get an old SVT.

Skel

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Here's my answer which is guarenteed to put me in the hot seat.

Go to Basstasters.com and listen to some of the recorded preamps on a good soundcard with good headphones or studio speakers. Go try a few preamps through headphones. Find one that gives you the all the sounds you like.

To amplify this preamp, pick a flat uncolored power amp, and a flat cabinet (which most bass cabinets are not).

You'll have more control over your sound and many different volume levels taking this approach.

Some heads, which are basically preamps + power amps in one box, may give you the sound you're looking for.

I do recommend you check out some of the modeling technology available from the different manufacturers. You can use them live and in the studio.

If your power amplifier and speaker are accurate you can expect your live sound to match that of your recorded sound.

The Berg IP's look to give you both flat amp and cabinet but I'm not sure since there's not published specs. And I haven't heard one.

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I would suggest choosing your gear based on your preferences and needs, and not because "someone else used it."

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    When I first started playing guitar, I had a Les Paul and a Fender Champ. I "upgraded" the Champ to a MusicMan 2X12 100 watt combo. Even though it had a master volume and I could get distortion, I knew the tone was not what I was after. I found an old beat up Marshall head at the music store, plugged into it, and instantly I had the tone I was looking for. It sounded just like Jimmy Page. I don't play or sound anything like Jimmy Page. I will always sound just like me. But I seeked out the Marshall because Jimmy Page used them. Maybe this analogy will help communicate what is going on in my mind.

Skel

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'll just add that you're not going to be able to drive any speakers properly with just an Acoustic 360 (unless it's in conjunction with the big old 301 cab). I was always under the impression that JPJ used an Acoustic 360 preamp and the 370 power amp together.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    It may not be that I'm after an Acoustic 360. It's more about "The coveted all tube, vintage, kick ass, SVT!!! Buy one of these and you could get the same tone as..Bill Wyman"

If I could know of some great players or familiar recordings with a Vintage SVT, I would understand what all the fuss is about. And nothing agains Bill Wyman, BTW - He played pretty much exactly what the songs needed. They sold a lot of records with him playing bass.

Skel

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey - I got your octal thing figured out, and now I'm hungry for noodles.

Skel

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    This should be made into a general amp forum sticky quote or something. :D

14. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    +1

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Agreed. Along with a list of great players who used SVT's.

Skel

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO a lot can be done tonally in the studio and even live. Today there's a lot more to choose from amp-wise, so I recommend that you try your bass through as many brands of amps as possible, and keep an open mind.

I have an interview with Geddy right after the "Permanent Waves" album was released. At that time he was running his Rick's stereo using two Ashley preamps and 2 BGW750 power amps, an all solid state setup. But up until "Hemispheres" he was using an all-tube stereo setup. His bridge pickup was going through a Sunn 2000S head into a Sunn cab (I can't remember the model of cab, but it had aftermarket SRO speakers). His neck pickup was going through an Ampeg SVT head into two Ampeg V4B cabs.

IMO I don't think his tone changed all that much until he switched to Wal's. Even then, it still sounded like Geddy to me, only slightly different. YMMV.

17. seamonley actually ha sonly begun to scratch the surface.
    no recordings were actually made with tuber amop. fake as th emoon landing. even today in tube ampos the tubes are just for show and utterly unnecessary. it's all a conspiracy.

18. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If this post is a joke, then it's funny. If it's not a joke, then, well... it's still funny.

19. I agree with you partially....I don't play a Mesa Boogie and a Rick because Paul D'Amour did....I wanted a simillar sound, and now I have it...

Honestly, that's what many people do, and there's nothing wrong with it - and yes, I know it's cheating....:eek:

BTW - Chris Squire used a Rick because of John Entwistle/ Paul D'Amour played a Chris Squire edition 4001(hmmm??)/ and lastly, there's me, the worst of the three....see?

20. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I can guarantee you that the greats that influenced *you* knew exactly what *their* influences used. To say "why does it matter what your influences used anyway" I don't know how to comment.

I guess the most important thing I've learned from this thread, is that there weren't any greats that used SVT's, or at least they didn't use them for very long.

Skel