Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My "Tour of Excellence" in NYC, Sadowsky Aguilar and "Uncle" Will

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I've always been a great admirer of excellence. No matter what the profession or vocation, people that are truly excellent at what they do are always inspiring to me.

Well, on a trip to the Big Apple this past Monday, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting somebody possessing this quality in spades at the three major stops made by myself and a couple good friends of mine (including kcdbass and my drummer Mark, both of whom are excellent in their own right).

Stop #1 was a visit to Roger Sadowsky and the crew at Sadowsky Guitars. Aside from being one of the nicest cats you'll ever meet, Roger is a true artist, and he and his crew should be, and no doubt are, exceedingly proud of what they produce. Now, those of you who are familiar with me know that I play 6 string Ken Smith basses (excellence with a capital "E"), but just because you dig filet mignon doesn't mean you can't appreciate truffles and caviar...you dig ;) ?

But I digress. After playing Roger's basses, all of those "Sadowskys are just over-rated Fender copies made from parts" arguments were blown to smithereens. Every pro player would be well advised to have at least one of these great basses in their "arsenal". Every bit of praise his basses get here on Talkbass is justified, and every argument to the contrary is not. Period. IMNSHO. If you will accept nothing short of excellence, then you will produce an excellent product. That's what Roger et al do.

Stop #2 was to drop in to see Dave Boonshoft and all the cats at Aguilar. The "adventure in excellence" continues :cool: . Dave gave us a quick but un-rushed tour of the shop (we showed up right as they were cleaning up for the day). If you're not in love with the Aggie sound, or just dig something else...well that's cool. But anyone who believes they are "over priced" just needs to see the operation to be convinced that the Aguilar gear would be a value at even higher prices. Uh...er...don't tell Dave I said that, though :oops: .

Last but certainly not least, we went to the Bitter End to catch the Oz Noy trio with Anton Fig on drums and "Uncle Will" Lee on bass. Oz is a great and very eclectic guitar player, and the material is an awesome display of funky, odd meter but always driving tunes that are both hip and whimsical, and the band just plain kills. They're going to be there every Monday night for the forseeable future ($7 cover charge :eek: ), sometimes with Keith Carlock subbing for Anton. If you are in the city you must check this out. Excellence, excellence, excellence.

I was admittedly feeling a bit frustrated with my own career, and I was bitching to Mark all the way into the city about it...but I am now feeling rejuvenated and infused with new energy. Thanks to Roger, and Dave, and Oz, and Anton, and Will, and Kevin, and Mark, and on and on and on and on.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Craig, glad you had such a great day ! That sounds like a truly unforgettable trip !

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    damn i love posts like this!!! a couple of pictures and it would have been perfect ;) .
    Greetings.
    Mike

4. it's always great when something rejuvenates and re-motivates you. i had a similar experience last week, as i got to take a lesson with zoro [prince's and lenny kravitz's former drummer]. he showed me stuff that i could use right away, and i started to feel like if i worked hard, i could get to a great place.

as for the gear appreciation, i'm slowly coming to think that it's easier to appreciate higher-end stuff as your abilities grow [not to mention your wallet]. i always thought the drums i have sounded great, and they do sound pretty good, but it's only after developing my ear a bit more that i'm starting to see their shortcomings [excessive overtones on the floor tom, lackluster tone on the 12" tom].

but anyhow, congrats to you on what sounds like a very fun and rewarding day.

:bassist:

meeks

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Killer post Craig! I know exactly what you are talking about being infused with new energy!!! Thats what my lessons do for me every week but I wish I could hang in NYC for the same vibe! :cool: I have been think about a Sadowsky for a while and theres no way I could afford one now but you have me gassing again for sure (must stay away from Sad website... must stay away...) ;)

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm going for some meetings from the 19 to the 22. i want to check out sadowsky, but don't know how far he is from my hotel (Edison).

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    What am I....Rand McNally?

Just kidding.

From the Edison Hotel. Walk out the lobby. Get in a cab. Say "20 Jay Street, Brooklyn".

If the cabbie asks for directions, get out and get into the next cab. Repeat as necessary.

;)

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I just re-read my last post, and it might have sounded a bit un-"Texas friendly", nojazz. Sorry. :oops:

Anyway, Roger's shop is at the above address in Brooklyn. With no traffic it's about a 15-20 minute cab ride from Times Square (where the Edison is). With traffic...2 hours. ;)

Go in the early afternoon and you should be cool.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    nothing is as bad as cabs in DC - they are like a rollercoaster but with no cool wind blowing in your face!!

10. Man I was there also on Monday to see a friend in the Songwriters Circle My friend and I stayed for the second act Kyler England & band-I really liked the bass player w/ her didn't catch his name-something Dutch sounding(Played a beat up P-Bass and a fretless 5of some sort on 1 tune)Yery solid & tasty. After that it was 11:30 and I had to run back to Jersey for beddy-bye(what a wimp)I heard them announce the next band as the Oz Noy Trio- thought hmm odd name and then left-I repeat DOH! Sounds like you had a great day though. Till I read your post I thought I did too!

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :)

Sititng at my computer, shipping stuff, I'm hearing this GREATTTT player in the sound room. The guy looks like your Avitar. :)

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Damn Nino...that "look-a-like" does wonders for my reputation.

;)

Sorry I didn't say "hey" man. Next time we'll hang bro.

Inky...I was there for the last 4 or 5 tunes that Kyler and band did. She is going to be a star. I should have listed her and her band for their excellence as well. And don't worry, Oz and Co. will be there every Monday. :D

13. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    What street is the hotel on?? When i was in New York i checked out Sadowsky. But stupidly, i walked from 94th Street to the shop in Brooklyn. Its a HUGE walk. Catch the sub-way.

14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I know you Aussies are used to "walkabouts"...but that's ridiculous! ;)

Taking a cab is easiest but if you want to take the train, look here http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_directions.html

15. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    Aw ... shucks, Craig. Me ... excellent? Well, thanks, but I'M NO CRAIG GARFINKEL! :bassist:

Excellent post, man ... right on ... it was great hanging with you and Mark -- must do it again soon.

16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    ...and I'm no kcdbass :D .

For those of you who don't know, kcdbass, in addition to being a great bass player, is the webmaster responsible for the incredibly GAS-inducing Sadowsky website (not to mention this one too http://www.mysteryfeet.com :cool: ).

It's also gonna be all his fault when I drop 3 large at Roger's place. :eek:

Kevin...you should elaborate on Uncle Will's playing with Oz. And for anyone who hasn't quite made the connection yet, or just aren't hip to it, "Uncle Will" is the great studio bassist Will Lee, also of The Letterman Show's "World's Most Dangerous Band". Check this out for an eye-popping resume.

http://www.willlee.com/discography.php

And for some words of wisdom from "one of the cats" :

http://www.willlee.com/faqs.php

:bassist: