My Traben Kore 5 - brand new

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QORC, Mar 1, 2005.

1. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I know there's been a lot of discussion about the Traben guitars. Some have loved them. Some think they are all flash and no sound.

Well, I picked up the "Kore 5" on Ebay for $500, including a custom Traben hard case - not bad. The combo would've cost a tad over $800 new from elsewhere. I got the sunburst color. The kore is the most expensive in the Traben line.

it looks exactly like this.

What do I think? WOW. It's a freakin' HEAVY guitar - the body is big and the chromed, extended bridge is large. I was stunned by its weight. Heaviest guitar I've ever owned, by far. I don't mind. It's a thing of beauty.

It's got a gorgeous color, finish and flawless kneck-through design. The fretboard is well set up, clean and easy to move through. The width is a tad wider than my more usual 5-string, but doesn't seem to be a problem.

It's got active pick-ups of course. I'm still playing with the sound. It certainly does not sound like a Fender, but I can't say I'm unhappy. With EQ manipulation, I was easily able to get a variety of sounds. Plenty of bottom and sustain on it, but like I said, I've not quite found the right combo of turns on its 5 knobs and my Amp EQ settings to just where I want them.

I gotta say. I'm in love with the looks of this thing and pleased with the sound - it's not a Stingray, but it's not some cheapo knock-off either. It's a sweet, pretty guitar. Will it be my workhorse? not sure. It may be something I pull out for one set a night. I have a new Josh Paul 5 and I'm trying to decide between them for my 5 string sets (my usual guitar is a Rickenbacker 4003).

anyway, there it is!
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its very pretty, allthough not really my thing. Id be interested to hear how they sound though :)
  3. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    well, like I said above, I like the sound SO FAR. Adjustments allowed me to get a nice growl with a good fat bottom out of it (my preferred sound). I was certainly not disappointed at all so far.

but i really need to get this at a high, band-volume first -- probably our next practice - before I lay judgment on it
  4. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I gotta say, it's growing me - the sound and all. It's definitely not sounding like a P-bass or something, and quite different than my Ric 4003...but it's growing on me.
  5. kkdpdn

Aug 6, 2005
    I just receieved my "blem" Kore 4 from - $212.50 for an $899 list bass. Other than a somewhat dried out fretboard (a little lemon oil?), I think it's a really well made piece - nice neck thru design. It is heavy, and the bridge is a little wild, but I think it sounds great! Of course, I've never gotten out of the garage, so what do I know!
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like the looks of the Tribal Sun bass, but I don't think it would work for me. I can't really handle sharp body edges, and if it's heavy like yours, that would not be good, either.

Yours is a very nice-looking bass.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like it. It will probably look wrong on a 40ish player like me, but on a younger guy, it will look sweet.