Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Traben Kore 5 - brand new

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QORC, Mar 1, 2005.

1. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I know there's been a lot of discussion about the Traben guitars. Some have loved them. Some think they are all flash and no sound.

Well, I picked up the "Kore 5" on Ebay for $500, including a custom Traben hard case - not bad. The combo would've cost a tad over $800 new from elsewhere. I got the sunburst color. The kore is the most expensive in the Traben line.

it looks exactly like this.

http://www.trabenbass.com/basses/kore_solarburst.html

What do I think? WOW. It's a freakin' HEAVY guitar - the body is big and the chromed, extended bridge is large. I was stunned by its weight. Heaviest guitar I've ever owned, by far. I don't mind. It's a thing of beauty.

It's got a gorgeous color, finish and flawless kneck-through design. The fretboard is well set up, clean and easy to move through. The width is a tad wider than my more usual 5-string, but doesn't seem to be a problem.

It's got active pick-ups of course. I'm still playing with the sound. It certainly does not sound like a Fender, but I can't say I'm unhappy. With EQ manipulation, I was easily able to get a variety of sounds. Plenty of bottom and sustain on it, but like I said, I've not quite found the right combo of turns on its 5 knobs and my Amp EQ settings to just where I want them.

I gotta say. I'm in love with the looks of this thing and pleased with the sound - it's not a Stingray, but it's not some cheapo knock-off either. It's a sweet, pretty guitar. Will it be my workhorse? not sure. It may be something I pull out for one set a night. I have a new Josh Paul 5 and I'm trying to decide between them for my 5 string sets (my usual guitar is a Rickenbacker 4003).

anyway, there it is!

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its very pretty, allthough not really my thing. Id be interested to hear how they sound though :)

3. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    well, like I said above, I like the sound SO FAR. Adjustments allowed me to get a nice growl with a good fat bottom out of it (my preferred sound). I was certainly not disappointed at all so far.

but i really need to get this at a high, band-volume first -- probably our next practice - before I lay judgment on it

4. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I gotta say, it's growing me - the sound and all. It's definitely not sounding like a P-bass or something, and quite different than my Ric 4003...but it's growing on me.

5. kkdpdn

kkdpdn

Aug 6, 2005
    I just receieved my "blem" Kore 4 from musiciansfriend.com - $212.50 for an $899 list bass. Other than a somewhat dried out fretboard (a little lemon oil?), I think it's a really well made piece - nice neck thru design. It is heavy, and the bridge is a little wild, but I think it sounds great! Of course, I've never gotten out of the garage, so what do I know!

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like the looks of the Tribal Sun bass, but I don't think it would work for me. I can't really handle sharp body edges, and if it's heavy like yours, that would not be good, either.

Yours is a very nice-looking bass.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like it. It will probably look wrong on a 40ish player like me, but on a younger guy, it will look sweet.