1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Trace head is making an annoying humming noise.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer2106, May 14, 2006.

1. Any ideas, it does it regardless of whether an instrument is plugged in, and even with both volume and gain turned down.

I know that it's mains hum, but what could be causing it.

I've tried plugging it in to different sockets, and I've tried using different speaker leads.

It's an old series 6, 200 watt head, with the 12 band graphic.

It's not very loud, just damn annoying.

I've had a quick look inside to see if it's anything obvious, but I don't really know what I'm looking at, I should point out that I have the technical knowledge of a tadpole. :cool:

2. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    I used to own very old Trace Elliot 11 band EQ 150W 15" combo (Mark IV IIRC) and it hummed quite loud too. But it sounded damn good. Great amp. Sometimes I really miss it.

3. could be a dry joint where the large smoothing power capacitors connect to the circuit board.

look closely at the solder joints, if there's any gaps re-tin them.

4. Get used to it. I've never been near a Trace that didn't hum. As soon as you start playing it gets covered up though.

5. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    My Trace doesn't hum, it hisses.

But then, I guess it was made before horn-loaded cabs were popular, so I'll forgive them. I'm a funk player so need the treble!