Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Tribute comes Home!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I finally picked up my G&L 2500 Tribute today. I haven't really had a chance to play it but I'm quite happy. It was nip and tuck between the Tribute and SUB. I must admit that the lower price of the Tribute won the day. The fact that the Tribute had a much, much prettier finish (cherryburst) tipped the scales in it's favor also. Thanks to Talkbass! I will soon become a supporting member to show my gratitude for the information I got here.

2. Congrats !!! :D

Got pix ?

Let us know what you think about it !

Welcome to the G&L club.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I can see how the price and finish of the G&L Tribute edged the SUB out. However, I'd say even more so, you get additional tonal variation with the 2 pickup G&L making it a better choice.

And here here, pictures!!!

r

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If it sounds anything like a regular L2500, you're gonna love it!

5. nicely done! must get pictures. :)

6. Nice score! Definately need pics!

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'll get pics as soon as I can, but it's a really nice cherryburst deluxe version.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had the same choice and went with the SUB5. No regrets other than the finish. The SUBs industrial strength finish is growing on me but man the Tribute's finishes are really nice especially the cherryburst and natural. Post some pics when you can!
    -Bazz-

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've had some time to play my 2500 Tribute through my own amp (100 Yorkville w/15" speaker) at home. The sound is great, it can produce an extremely close approximation of a P-bass with the neck pickup soloed. The bridge pickup produces a trebly, lead bass tone. Both make for a good "Jazz on steroids" type of tone. The pickups are extremely powerful and actively electronics is really like a bonus instead of a necessity, especially since it has passive bass and treble roll-offs that work even when the actives switch is off. A number of reviewers have complained about the complicated electronics, but I recommend that a Tribute owner just spend time playing the bass. It will become natural after a while.

I liked the finish and how it was applied. I was a bit disappointed with some sharp fret edges in the upper register of the bass. I also noted a buzz on the G string in the open position. Overall, the finish is good, but a better fret job and set up probably would have put the price in the Lakland Skyline territory. Still, the sound of this bass is killer. I'm not exagerrating when I say that soundwise, this is my most versatile bass since I owned a Ken Smith bolt on about six years ago. I'm not saying that the overall bass is equal to the Smith, but the sounds and electronics are comparable.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've had my Tribute L-2500 for over two weeks now and I am still in love with it. I had the action raised and bit and the G-string buzz is much less but not completely gone. It might just need to wear the frets a bit. Other than that slight buzz, this bass is smokin'! The neck is very comfortable and it is very easy to get good sounds out of this bass.

I recently A/b'ed my Tribute against some other basses, namely a lakland 94-55 and a Czech made bolt Spector 5-string and a Musicman Bongo. I was struck at how closely I was able to match finger plucked tones with the 94-55. The two were very, very close. The 94-55 is clearly better when it came to slap sounds. The Lakland had a clearer and more complex slap tone than my Tribute L-2500, however, seeing that the Lakland is $3,000 and my has was just a tad over $600 with tax, the Lakland ought to sound better! What was really instructive was that against the Lakland, I could better see the cost cutting measures used on my Tribute. The Lakland had an absolutely perfect fret job and I noticed that my pots were noisier than those on the Lakland. The Lakland also had a prettier figured maple top. Still my cherryburst Tribute is quite a good looking bass. When it cames to pickups and hardware, I thought my Tribute compred very favorably to the Lakland. The Tribute has US made pickups and electronics and they are very powerful. I often find that the active electronics are overkill on certain amps and I play the bass passive. I lose virtually no tonal flexibility when I do this. When I brought my Tribute into to the store to compare against the Lakland, the salesman was very impressed with the looks of my bass. he thought it was an American G&L until I told him the price I paid for it.

Against the Spector, I thought my Tribute was clearly a better bass. It had more versatile electronics and I thought it's construction was better. The Spector did have a very nice B with it's 35" scale. My Tribute, however, is 34" scales 5 done right. The five on my Tribute is tight like a Stingray 5 and better than the B strings I have seen on some USA L-2500.

To certain degree, the comparison with the Bongo was apples and oranges because the Bongo definitely has a Musicman based sound and opposed to the Tribute's more Fender oriented sound. I really liked the Bongo, either that or the Peavey Cirrus or a Skyline Lakland may be my next bass. Owning a great bass again is giving me major GAS. I thought that getting my Tribute would have cured me instead of getting me hungry again!