1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Tribute to Jaco - Continuum

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Quicksilver44, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Hey guys, this is a recording of me playing Jaco's Continuum on my Squier Fretless JB.

As described in the video description, I just kinda did the main passage of the tune without any of the solo stuff (I'm not quite there yet, hehe)..

But Jaco is really one of my biggest influences, he's who really made me appreciate the bass (I'm actually a drummer, not sure if I'm super serious about pursuing bass yet but I've been playing for about a year, learning all my favorite tunes and learning the neck; got into Jaco and I'm totally hooked)

So I decided to pay tribute!

Let me know what you think :D

2. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds great man! Very tasteful. Those fretless Squires sound fantastic. Very big, full tone almost like an upright.

3. flacoclef

flacoclef Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    Well done!

4. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    well done bro! you captured the feel and soul of the tune.

5. thanks very much guys
    Yeah the Squier has blown me away. Really its my first bass, I was borrowing a '92 MIM Precision (which I kinda miss!) from a friend for a few months but I wanted my own and I really wanted a fretless so I think I made an alright move with the Squier.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    :cool:Really nice going!:cool:

7. thank you =]

8. Jazzomaniac

Jazzomaniac

Nov 16, 2006
    Beautiful playing! Very nice tribute to Jaco :)

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great job! Really clean playing, and you got the feel just right.

10. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    Hearing it now, nice, man.

11. Happy Birthday Jaco! (December 1). He'd be 59! So much love to Jaco

I didn't realize until later that the harmonics didn't really cut through on that recording. There's only really one harmonics chord used in the tune, obviously at the intro and a little here and there throughout the piece and at the end to close it out.

But the fact that its subtle and somewhat (too?) quiet (as I left it) is kind of okay with me now. I mean the whole tune just flows so gracefully that it can actually be quiet and still really add something to the piece, just in a small way.

Annnnyway,
    Thank you very much for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.

12. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Great tribute. Timing, feel and sound were excellent.

13. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Nice job! I don't know how good of a drummer you are but you will make a heck of a bassist! Chances are your are a fabulous drummer too, right?! :)

14. AWESOME!!

I loved the harmonics at :54.
    Great!!

15. A humble thanks again to you kind folks :*3

Yes Zuma I would definitely say I'm a much better drummer than I am a bassist. Ive had about 6-7 years now to really develop my skills/vocabulay as a drummer (dad and grandfather are drummers) but recently I moved into an apartment and it was basically goodbye to playing the drums just whenever I wanted so I really started to focus on the bass (brother and uncle are bassists) and thats that!

16. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    you should know that Jaco Pastorius was a really good drummer . . . he played drums AND bass on several Weather Report songs . . .:cool: . . .

EDIT maybe I should have said "at least one Weather Report song" instead of "several Weather Report songs"

EDIT 2 Jaco played bass and drums on Heavy Weather's "Teen Town" . . . on Mr. Gone he's credited with bass, drums and timbales . . . on 8:30 Jaco plays double drums with Peter Erskine on "Brown Street" and also plays drums on the title track (8:30) . . . on Night Passage Jaco only played bass . . .

17. Yes I knew Jaco played drums first, I remember hearing a very early recording of Jaco on drums when I was listening to the Portrait of Jaco CD's, it was great =]

18. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    Great job, and beautiful sound from that Squire- you've got me thinking about getting one now!!!

19. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    You've only been playing bass for about a year??? And you're not sure if you're serious about further pursuing it??

You sounded great!! Please do pursue it further!!

20. And if you did not tell us it was a Squire Jazz Bass, we'd never know the difference.

Again, good job!