Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My trip to Alto music to test out some basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Its a somber rainy morning here in Warwick Ny and there is nothing to do so I decide to take a trip up to Alto Music ( A tremendous local chain). I walk through the doors and am greated by a jolly old man in a flanel shirt who says "good afternoon sir". I then approach the bass section and smile with joy over all the pretty basses. I then see a boy who looked to be about 14 playing a epiphone bass who was with his brother who looked to be about ten. The ten year old has a spector legen 6 string in his hands and says "ooooh this bass has six strings" His older more knowledgable bassist brother says "no thats a regular guitar , you can tell by the strings'' I turn around and shake my head with sorrow. So anyway I take a nice Spector legend off the wall and am shocked by its beautiful amber finish and its heavy body. I pluged it in and begin to slap....the first hit with my weathered ugly thumb I cringed with horror for the bass sounded and felt so bad. IMO its no good it sounded tiny and I felt like ....somethin nasty. I then moved on to a Korean made MTD which was $300 used and it put the Spector to shame! It had a great slap tone and had a really nice fell I LOVED it. So thats it then I bought some GHS bass boomers and I was done.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Props to alto music, a good chain. Had to turn down a job at my local one cause i dont have the time right now.

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York

Yea you said it , great place!

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Alto is a great place and John is a very cool guy.

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Are you sure the Spector didn't just have a dead battery and was in need of a setup?

Still, you never know what's going to blow your mind. Sometimes the voice of God (or James Earl Jones) can be found in the instrument you least expect.

And I won't comment on you living in Warwick, but unfortunately I'm a huge fan of putrid puns.

6. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    I like alto music, they actually have some really good prices.. sometimes i get the best deal on a particular item at altos. They got some good prices. Besides the fact that its just an awesome store because its so big. They do have a large selection.... not many lefties tho :(.

Regards,
    H

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    It would be cool if some TBers could all meet at alto one time

8. i think we should meet at alto's some time. hang out and play some basses and talk bass (hahaha get it?)

im in the area too - i think 5stringfanatic can affirm that. right mr.T? happy passover by the way.

9. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Haha, yes Mr. P .... lol.. yea we should definetly all meet up at altos one day, would be fun.

Regards,
    H

10. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Yea we deffinately should what Alto are you guys by?? Im at the one in middletown

11. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    oh groove you live in orange county of course....

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im by the smaller one in Wappingers Falls on Rt 9. Ive been to teh middletown one once before though.

13. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Ok everyone who goes to alto in middletown I want you to play the korean MTD that they have its in the used section , It is the nicest $300 dollar bass I have ever played. Then PM me and tell me what you thought of it ;)

14. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    Which alto did you go to? Thats where i bought my bass amp from. Very nice people very helpful. Good store.

15. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Alto in middletown , great place good fellas there

16. I love Alto Music, great store I bought my cube 100 from there the people there are great. I live not far from there in Middletown. :hyper:

Peace
    Big Ce :bassist:

17. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    i live in Orange county as well.. I goto Middletown Alto.

Regards,
    H

18. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I say lets do it well pick a date and all meet there

19. im at the one in middletown too. whats everyone up to on monday?

20. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Mondays no good for me :( What about next saturday around noon?