Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My trip to Bass Central

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by venturawest, Jun 11, 2004.

1. venturawest

venturawest

Apr 29, 2004
    hey friends,

just got back from my first trip to bass central. what a great freakin' place. it's a little out of the way (about 20 minutes from downtown orlando) but well, well, well worth the trip.

they have about a bazillion basses in the place (although most of them aren't out front) and they'll let you play them all, take all the time you need, etc. i spent the better part of the afternoon there and checked out pretty much everything they had - it's all pretty high end, and to tell you the truth i could have easily spent the entire day, or week, just hanging out there.

a special thanks to Gard and his crew, who were so amazingly hospitable. they make you feel totally welcome and a part of the gang. i'll buy all my future instruments and gear from them just because they were all such great people to be around.

on a sad note: i did learn, the hard way, that when you go to very high-end specialty bass stores, i am not nearly as skilled as i once had hoped i might be. there were some people in there who could *really* play. wow.

thanks again, Bass Central and Gard! you guys were awesome. i'm definitely buying from you again.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Don't sell yourself short, you got around the fingerboard just fine!

Good having you in, wish I could have hung more, but yesterday was NUTS in here, even by typical BC standards!!! :hyper:

Let me know next time you're up, and maybe we can go find some trouble to get into...

:ninja:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Venturawest, I know what you mean about being humbled in a music store! When I used to make regular trips to Nashville stores, I was routinely blown away by the quality of players. Just soak it in and keep practicing. Also remember that 90% of what you hear in the music store cannot really be used in 95% of the music that most of us play. That said, it's still nice to have that ability! :bassist:

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    my experience was similar. Bass Central had bass players that blew away most you find in other music stores, but I felt the most comfortable. It wasn't about my abilities to play like Marcus or Victor. Definately a cool store and a great bunch of guys!

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I felt the same way the one time i went to Bass Alone is San Diego. Makes me realize the potential for growth. Thats what makes bass such a great instrument.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Wait till you see a super talented bassist who has absolutely no sense for melody, then be glad for your lack of "chops" :D

While there are many bassists who are extremely techinical and melody, there are many more out there who are purely chops-masters.

Two days ago, I went to the GC in Fort Myers and was noodling around on a MIA Jazz and a Stringray. Then a kid (19-20) starts playing a ridiculous tap solo through a GK combo on eleven. No melody, just chops for a few minutes; nobody but a complete amateur (or a guitarist) would be in awe of the kind of playing. I would rather listen to a player, no matter how basic his or her playing, with a great sense of melody and improvisation; over a chops master, who plays the same over-the-top solo everytime.

7. venturawest

venturawest

Apr 29, 2004
    you know, i guess that makes me feel better.

it's funny - your ego can get so stroked when you do things a certain way. i like to believe i can play pretty solidly with the current band - and sometimes sound guys, managers etc come up and say "you can really play that thing" or somesuch after a show.

and then my trip to BC. there was this guy there - playing a roscoe frettless - and he seriously, NO JOKE, made this thing sing. i mean, it was genuinely beautiful to listen to. i was blown away. i seriously just walked around the store, just listening for awhile, i was actually too intimidated to be playing while he was around. totally inspiring.

back to practicing.