1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My trip to Bass Central!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groov'ster, Mar 27, 2006.

1. So I was finally able to go this last friday. I took the hour and half drive from Jacksonville to Fern Park and it was worth it.

First off...My hat off to everyone I met at the store. Beaver, Grasshopper, Doug, Keith, Mike. They were good guys to deal with and treated me great.

While I didn't buy when I was there, :crying: , I sure did spend some time looking. I will be purchasing a bass from them in 2-3 months.

I spent time playing on Ken Smith, Roscoe, MTD, Modulus, Elrick, Sadowsky, Zon.

My purchase will be a Ken Smith 6 MW. It played absolutely wonderful. Quite costly but definetly worth it.
    My second option would be a MTD 635. Now I understand what all the hype is about. Clear, punchy, smooth low action.

I played all of them through a Eden 390 Sig. Series combo and a Epifani combo.

They all sounded great with their respective tones but the Smith & Eden combination was the BOMB! for me.

I would encourage anyone to check out BASS CENTRAL. I had heard of some less than pleasant experiences there but I had none. Beaver did explain to me that there is a 10 min. time limit on each bass. His reason, and one I agree with, was that if someone is going to buy a new bass from him then he wants it to be brand new, or really close to it. If people come in and play on a bass pounding away on it, and then after time 10 more people do the same then he is not in essence selling a new bass it will be used for the new price.
    Other than that my experience was great! My $.02!

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Stunning top on that Smith. Congrats on a fine choice.

3. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Great guys to deal with, even all the way out here in California, and that bass looks awesome! Go for it! Smiths play like buttah!

4. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Beautiful

5. Call in advance that you're serious and they'll let you play away on any bass for an extended period of time. He was great with me!

6. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Nice tiger maple on the Smith! That wouldn't be my top-choice #1, but it is still fabulous!

7. I was able to play uninterupted for as long as I wanted with no problems. BUT I was trying so many basses that I prob didn't spend more than 10-15 min on any one bass.

This was my first time to be able to play any of these basses and I was in heaven.

I was really impressed with the MDT and Modulus. The MDT were everything I had ever heard about and more.
    The Modulus Q6 were very impressive. I actually picked the bass up 4 times and played it. One of the guys actually laughed at me because I kept going back to it. He said he had one and thats why I gave it a try. The combo of the graphite(pheno) / wood was a really warm sound. The price was actually higher than the Ken Smith and IMHO not nearly as beautiful.

In my mind I could always hear this bass sound but have never been able to get my current/past equip. to achieve that sound. When I plugged that Smith into that Eden that was it! I have seen/heard them played before but it was different in MY hands and it was awesome. :D

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    bass central = THE BEST in prices, service, and quality.

they'll beat basically everyone by at least approximately 5 to 10%

9. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Awfully nice folks, too!

Kim

10. Nice Smith! I didn't get to try one when I was there, but I wound up ordering a Dingwall Afterburner 1 from BC a few months later. Great store!

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Sounds coool, man. God, I wish there was a bass-only shop around here.

12. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Beaver let me play anything I wanted, but I already bought an Alembic Series II from him before I ever went there.

I guess that put me on his "good" list. :)

Brad

13. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    I went there for the first time Saturday. I didn't realize until I was about to leave that they have like 500 new basses still in boxes in their back room.

It was kind of humbleing hearing Dave Larue in the back room cranking out high speed slap scales and then having one of his 16 year old students (that resembled Napoleon Dynamite by the way) coming out and doing the same thing!!

I also fell in love with a Modulus Q5 there but I'm a 4 string player so I was able to leave without rupturing my wallet. I still may have to turn into a 5 sting player. How hard is the transition?

Then I took the wrong route 17 home (only Florida could have 2 route 17's) and I turned a 2 1/2 hour trip into a 4 hour one. I should have came home with a bass to aleviate my wife's suspiscions of where I was for so long!;) She doesn't play so she'd never onderstand.:bassist: :D :bassist: :D

14. You saw those boxes too!!! I couldn't believe they was so much bass stuff in one place.

I wish my local store was outfitted like that.

15. ...there is a downside to all of those boxes if you work there (which I did for almost 5 years...)....I've spent literally an hour or longer looking for ONE bass in that place....

:spit:

;)

16. Gard I was hoping you would chime in....They asked how I had heard about BC and I told them here on TB from you.

It's funny you should say that about looking for a bass. When I first asked about a KS 6 string, Doug pulled one out from back. About an hour later another guy came in asking for the same after Doug had put the one I played back. He came out with a completely different 6 string. He said he had just found this one while looking for the one he had just put back there.
    I wish I could get lost like that b/c there are so many.

17. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Well, they need to get those boxes open man!!!! And PLEASE update that website weekly, theres basses posted on there as still available that have been sold months ago!!! Still, they ARE great guys and I bought my Warwick Thumb 6 wide from them a while back.

18. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was at Bass Central twice and they are great people to deal with. They all know there stuff and are able to answer any questions. I played 7 or 8 basses both times I was there and they were more than accomodating. It was at Bass Central that I fell in love with my Ken Smith too. Enjoy your bass.

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Actually I'm going to be in FL (South and Central) for business Wednesday-Friday... I'm going to stop by BC either tomorrow or Friday. maybe I'll have to take some pix.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I agree with the original post. VERY friendly, and they will let you play til your heart's content. Well, I think Gard threatened them, and that's why they let me wank away! Best bass I played that day was a Fodera 4. It brought out my inner Ike Turner! :bassist: :bassist: