Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My trip to BassCentral

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is a very cool store. It was cool meeting Gard and Grasshopper, even though Gard was kind of busy, they did let me have my way with a Sadowsky 5 and a Fodera 4. Both amazing basses. I alway knew that Dave LaRue was a very good bassist, but I didn't know that he was THAT good!:eek: He was teaching a student, when he decided to give some poor bass "whut fer"! He was KILLING it! Dave is amazing! Hey, I didn't know. I do plan on making another trip to hang with the guys next time.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I dunno 'Chuck, you was beatin' that bass pretty convincingly yourself! ;) Sorry I didn't have time to hang much, was a crazy day that day. Saturdays are unpredictable, some are quiet and good for visiting, others are like the one you experienced: Total insanity.

Oh, and yeah, Dave is scary. Imagine this scenario:

My first lesson with Dave (of course I'm totally intimidated), he puts his drum machine on with a basic funk groove and starts playing a groove with it, tells me to pick up on it and play along. I do, soon as I get in it, he starts soloing. Amazing stuff, I'm almost losing my place because I'm so blown away. I'm grinning, I'm jaw-dropping, I'm laughing becase it's all so cool. He solos for about 2 minutes, then drops into the groove with me, looks at me, smiles, and says, "Now you solo.".

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I literally took my hands and put them both behind my back....

....I learned an important lesson that day: Never be intimidated. He made me solo, and I sucked. But, he also took the time to show me WHY. I have never backed down since. Good teacher in addition to being a frightening player.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's what I need! I'm horrible at soloing! I can do it for about 45 seconds, after that, all bets are off!