My trip to BassCentral

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is a very cool store. It was cool meeting Gard and Grasshopper, even though Gard was kind of busy, they did let me have my way with a Sadowsky 5 and a Fodera 4. Both amazing basses. I alway knew that Dave LaRue was a very good bassist, but I didn't know that he was THAT good!:eek: He was teaching a student, when he decided to give some poor bass "whut fer"! He was KILLING it! Dave is amazing! Hey, I didn't know. I do plan on making another trip to hang with the guys next time.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I dunno 'Chuck, you was beatin' that bass pretty convincingly yourself! ;) Sorry I didn't have time to hang much, was a crazy day that day. Saturdays are unpredictable, some are quiet and good for visiting, others are like the one you experienced: Total insanity.

Oh, and yeah, Dave is scary. Imagine this scenario:

My first lesson with Dave (of course I'm totally intimidated), he puts his drum machine on with a basic funk groove and starts playing a groove with it, tells me to pick up on it and play along. I do, soon as I get in it, he starts soloing. Amazing stuff, I'm almost losing my place because I'm so blown away. I'm grinning, I'm jaw-dropping, I'm laughing becase it's all so cool. He solos for about 2 minutes, then drops into the groove with me, looks at me, smiles, and says, "Now you solo.".

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I literally took my hands and put them both behind my back....

....I learned an important lesson that day: Never be intimidated. He made me solo, and I sucked. But, he also took the time to show me WHY. I have never backed down since. Good teacher in addition to being a frightening player.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's what I need! I'm horrible at soloing! I can do it for about 45 seconds, after that, all bets are off!