1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My trip to Guitar Center....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElBajista, Apr 29, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Because of my travels to Lakeland, Florida to sell my Lakland Glaub, I decided to head over to the local Guitar Denter to see what they might have. In retrospect, it probably wasn't a good decision, keeping in mind that I had $800 in cash in my wallet, and I walked into a potential financial deathtrap.

They had the typical Bass "Closet," as I call it, with a somewhat limited selection of basses, which is to be expected. All the usual brands, Fender, MM, Warwick, etc. I tried out quite a few, and here's a little mini-review for each:

MM Stingray 4 HH, slate grey (?), black pearl pickguard, RW neck: First off, the setup was horrible and the SS strings were sticky (?!) and horribly clanky. Yet through all this, the bass played well, and through some creative EQing to add some low end to the crappy strings, it sounded great! The 5-way switch really has quite a lot of variable tones, and I could juice quite a versatile range out of the bass. Great bass!

Warwick corvette4, bubinga top: Bloody heavy! I couldn't believe it when I picked it off of the wall. It must have been at least 13 pounds. Neck was huge and neckdive was pretty bad, but the tone was really nice. Very growly, very bassy, yet versatile as most Jazz-style basses are. Put all that tone into a lighter package, slim down the neck so it's actually playable, get rid of the tacky gold hardware, and that would be one heck of a bass.

Stingray 5, black/black, maple neck: Basically the same review as the Stingray 4 HH. Bad (yet fixable if you have half a brain) setup, Great sound. Monster tones, and was as good as any other MM bass, which is incredible. The only problem was the B string, which I made sure was in tune, was pretty floppy and therefore a bit on the "flubby" side, tone wise.

Shecter Stiletto Custom 5,
    not sure of the wood, but it was white with a RW board: Not bad at all, for the price. B string was floppy, but sounded pretty good. Setup actually wasn't that bad, so it must have been a new arrival.:smug: Again, sounded pretty good, played very well, had versatile tones and seemed like a great bass for the price.

Fender MIA P, Natural Ash/white PG/RW board, S1 switch:
    Here's the one I was hoping to try out. Setup was actually very good, felt pretty nice, and sounded good. Even so, it couldn't even stand up to my old Glaub. Like I said, it felt good, but it lacked the punch of my Glaub. Then again, it wasn't exactly a fair comparison because of those darn crappy SS strings, and also because of the RW board compared to the Glaub's maple. I remember the tone of my Glaub strung with SS Ernie Ball slinkies when I first got it, and the Fender couldn't stand a chance. The Fender didn't sound nearly as full and punchy as my Glaub. And before anyone replies saying this, I DID make sure that it was selected for the Series wiring.:rolleyes:

For the record, this is all IME, IMO, etc.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    heheh.,. gc

3. I have the Schecter Custom 4. This bass is so easy to play. Fast neck, good weight, great tone. the company sets up every bass that leaves the factory. You dont get that attention to detail with most companies. I would love to see Schecter to do a 5 string with a single Humbucker to compete with the stingray. Id buy one in a heart beat.

4. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    In my experience, the MIA Ps are a little too 'clean' compared to mexican Ps. Maybe I'm just talking out of my other orifice here, but I actually liked the Mexican one better. (Might have been because it had an ash body.. drool...)

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Right on brother! nothing better than an honest thread about your afternoon tryout!
    see my afternoon thread about the $$ buck 5 !!!!
    WHAT A JOKE !!!! Brothers don't get it without trying it out first!! I love you all.......but come on!!!! GO FOR THE 4 STRING !!!!(perfect balance for your hard earned cash!)DO IT !!!!!!!