Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Trip to Mr. Gollihur's House

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Feb 23, 2001.

1. On my vacation, I went to see Mr. Gollihur's house in south Jersey. When I arrived, shortly after noon, Mr. Gollihur was sober. His living room is enhanced by a Juzek in the corner, safely away from the fireplace. Furnishings included an AI Contra, and an EA cabinet with some stuff on top that I don't understand at all. He proceeded to connect the new K & K Golden Trinity mic to my bass. It took only a second. I asked if the name meant Jerry Falwell had designed it, and Mr. Gollihur looked a little uneasy and said he had helped design the mic but not the name. Aware of my two-wire maximum, Mr. Gollihur showed how both the mic and my Barbera pickup went through one wire to a little black box about 1/20th the size of a stupid Fishman Blender. The box lets you separately and infinitely mix the amount of mic and pickup signal sent to the amp. You can leave the box on the floor, but Mr. Gollihur showed how it fit on his belt. There was plenty of room left for Mr. Gollihur to wear a shoulder holster. The all-mic sound through the AI was warmer than a pickup could ever be, and loud enough to do most jazz gigs alone. Mixing in the pickup added bite, but the AI Contra doesn't give that twangy sound no matter what. I got real nervous when Mr. Gollihur took out a little screwdriver, but it was only to open up the box. He mumbled something about "EQ" and "neutral" and was done in one minute. After I get my AI Contra, I'm highly likely to get this mic.
    I didn't see any other basses or guns in Mr. Gollihur's house, only some EUB's that Mr. Gollihur is making himself. He's a real smart man.
    I pretended to use the bathroom to see if his shoulder holster was on the back of the door. It wasn't.
    I went home.

2. No need. I had my two best with me.

I have not tried the AMT. Friends who have think its better use is to go to a separate PA system, and they question its use as a sole source through an amp.

It does not offer the hassle-free, infinite mixing capacity of Mr. Gollihur's mic.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Don behaved himself admirably as a guest in my home. Even put the seat down when he was finished.

I didn't bring out the '41 Kay to show him since the last guy who visited with his lovely carved bass was almost suicidal after he heard the glorious sound emanating from that well-seasoned plywood. I couldn't bear to expose him to such competition.

But his two instruments were very nice, as was he.

The Contra is a great little combo -- I've had mine over a year, and it continues to gain my respect and I like it more as time goes on.

Looks like I may become a dealer for Acoustic Image as well.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Be sure to let the rest of us know when you do. I dream about those amps these days...

5. Chris:
    My AI Contra arrived last night 10 days early. Just wanted to share that with you.

Kay people:
    Michael Moore used a Kay when he worked in the Benny Goodman band. That bass is now owned by Sean Smith, a wonderful NYC bassist.
    Michael has a nice 19th C. German bass, but he used his current Kay in a duo gig with Bertoncini, and a series of dates with Brubeck in venues both small and huge. He'll use the Kay to record with Brubeck.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I take it you have few if any reservations about that amp from what you've written so far. Keep writing nice things about it when there's something nice to say. I'm collecting positive AI reviews...My wife is a sociologist who makes her living doing research. For some reason, she's already impressed with the AI because of its size & portability (and also, I suspect that she thinks it's "cute", as it somewhat resembles the VW Beetle)...since she agreed to let me plop down $4000 lately for the new bass & setup, I don't wanna push my luck - but if I have a large stack of positive statements from "impartial" folks whose opinions I respect, it will help the AI move into our budget plans sooner than if I didn't. That kinda thing goes a long way with a research person.

I'm assuming you found one in the neighborhood of $700-750?

Thanks.

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Chris,

Take the plunge and get the AI, I haven't regretted it, although it meant skipping a few lunches (no worries, at 5'7" and 220lbs I've got a ways to go before I reach the weight I played baseball at). With the K & K mic the sound is soooo sweet and you will never hear your lowest notes so clear. At low volume in my music room, playing just loud enough to hear myself over my play-along records, I'm sometimes not even sure the amp is on until I turn it off and the volume goes down.

Monte

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have the same thing happen with my Baby Blue, which is a great amp. However, I can't get the phrase, "half the size and weight.....half the size and weight....half...." out of my mind. it would be perfect for a lot of gigs I do by itself, and for really loud gigs or big rooms, I could chain them together - hey! - this is all REEDO'S fault: he's the one who put that bug in my ear in the first place. Why, that no-good stinkin'.........why, I aughta.......

I out to start saving for that amp, is what I aughta do...

9. Hey, I was just thinkin' out loud! It's not MY fault you liked the idea! Reedo only pawn in game of life!!! :D

10. Remember when I was asking about travelling rt. 50 to the Black Horse Pike? That was just a cover. I took rt. 50 to the White Horse Pike west to Ancora. I'm feeling better now.