Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My trip to NYC... Sadowsky!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by masterFunk, Aug 28, 2002.

1. I went up to NYC on monday with my brother to meet some ol' friends... while we were there, we went around the 48th to try out some basses... (there aren't that many high-end BASS dealers around here in MD...) Rudy's had nice mtd's, went to the boutique and tried their elricks and bn5. The ice-blue BN5 had the vintage Fender tone nailed, it was scarry! NY version Elrick had a stunning top! but the neck was a little clubby for my taste..

the highlight of the trip!

I called my friend to look up Sadowsky's number on the internet. So I called the place and "the Man" answers the phone. so he tells me how to get to the shop and I start driving.
    Then I notice that it was too late, since the shop closes at 6:00 and it was 5:45 already. So I call again and Roger says that he would wait for me! so I get there at 6:20 and call him again, Roger comes down to take me up since the elevator shuts off after the shop hours. I told him I wanted to try some 5's and he took out one of the fives that was packaged just to let me try it... I was pretty overwhelmed by his kindness, but was I BLOWN away by his BASSes!!!

I tired the vintage 5 with ash body and maple neck
    and a 24 fret with ash and maple..
    man they sounded so nice!! and played so nice.. I understood why people were dying for Sadowsky's
    my brother is a classical guitar major/performer and he is very sensitive to sounds.. He says that the sadowsky tone is clearer, warmer, more musical, etc.. than the other basses we tried that day...

Then, I told Roger that I don't have the money right now to buy a new one, and I looking for a used one. He was very kind to tell me where to look for used Sadowsky's and told me to call him if I had any questions. But he did tempt me by telling me all he needs is $500 deposit to make the bass and I would pay the rest at the completion of the bass ;) ;) :D

by the way.. I wanted to say hello to nino, but Roger told me he had left right before I got there...

When I meet a luthier and find out that he is such a nice guy, knowing that I wasn't in the market for a new one, it says so much about His Instruments, and how much he cares about them.

So I bought one!! (used though)
    it's on its way!!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats Joe...looking forward to seeing it soon.

3. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Have fun joe...you lucky dog.;)

4. Congrats on the bass. Excellent decision you'll really love it. They are sweet basses. I would have one if I could afford it.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Joe

Congrat's!

The sadowsky's are very nice basses and I'm sure you will enjoy yours. Actually I know you will :D
    Its truly loaded with everything and has an amazing B string!!!

6. Thanks everyone!

Brad, I'll let you know as soon as it gets here!

Brian, I bet you do :D

man these hands are so eager to dig in!!! :D

7. Yep, Roger and his basses are great. Enjoy!

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    So, what did you end up getting?:D

9. Roger's shop is on the short list of places I MUST see when I'm in the city in October.

10. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    If I ever got to visit New York, Sadowsky shop is a must to met Nino........Roger too!

11. I'll be staying in Manhattan 10/13 through 10/18 for some training at IBM. I'll be done each day at 4pm so I'll definitely be paying Roger's shop a quick visit. I'll be travelling alone and my hotel is on Lafayette St. so I'd love it if some of you NYC Talkbassers could give me some ideas about the cool places to visit to pass the time.

Jeff

12. Vintage 5
    cherry burst
    flame maple top
    flame maple finger board
    Gold hardwear.

yeap.. you guessed it! it used to be Funky's

[​IMG]

13. by the way I was wondering if I could order a clear pickguard for it!
    I think it'll look really nice with a clear one

14. I love that bass! Well, at least Funky still has that Fodera......