Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My trip tp Club Bass, and my new Dingwall Afterburner II....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daytona, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Last week I was in Toronto visiting some friends and family, so I made a trip downtown to Club Bass. What a cool store, and Dave Freeman (proprietor) is the nicest guy who really knows a thing or two about customer service. He is a great guy to deal with. I had a chance to play some really cool basses. As it turns out, it was a very expensive visit. After being in the store for 9 hours over 3 days, I bought a Dingwall Afterburner II, and I ordered a Rob Allen MB-2 fretless. This Dingwall blew me away. At first, it seems a little weird, but after about 5 minutes it becomes the easiest playing bass you've ever picked up. The feel and sound are amazing, and that 37" low B - wow!! I was playing it through an EA iAmp350 and EA CXL112 cab. For anyone who is looking for a lightweight rig that sounds amazing - look no further. Anyway, I am totally jazzed about this purchase. Here's a pic of one that looks just like it.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is that a bubinga top?

3. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Yes, it has a Bubinga top and neck, mahogany body, and wenge fretboard.

4. I seem to spend $$ every time I drop in to see Dave - he definitely has the coolest bass store in Canada, and the best customer service!
    :cool:
    Congrats on the new bass, Sheldon's work is pretty awesome!
    :D

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sweet bass!!

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Great score. I bought an Euphonic cabinet from Dave a few weeks ago and saw /tried out your bass (the Dingwall) while I was there. Very, very cool bass.You're right about Dave...a very unique shop.It's breathe of fresh air when the alternatives are Steve's and L&M.

7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Cool,

Dave gets lots of my money too! :D
    I just got a new CXL-112 today. This is my fifth EA cab, and I've bought them all from Club Bass. I've had VL-110's and CXL-110's before this one. I tell all my students and friends about the store. What I like, apart from great customer service, is that Dave gets in all the cool bass thingys that you can't find anywhere else.

Best,
    LM

8. I've only seen the regular maple Afterburners, and never even heard of the Afterburner II, but man oh man that's a beauty! I love the darker woods on that thing. Thanks for sharing--one more thing to get GAS over! :eek:

Mike

9. Whoa whoa whoa, there's a bass store in downtown TO? Where at?

10. 45 Ossington Ave

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    CmdrVodka - It's on Ossington about a block north of Queen West.I think it's an omen that Dave would place a Bass only shop a block from the Queen Street Mental Health hospital.

When you get there see if you can discern the patients from the bass players.I can't.

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    As I'm on the east coast of the U.S. I haven't been there. But I visit their web site
    http://www.clubbass.ca/
    BTW your new bass is a real beauty

13. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    woah,...just remember to use a coaster when setting drinks down :p
    that is a purty one!

14. Awesome bass....
    Spent a few dollar -eh?

I love the look of the new Afterburner II's. Sheldon does incredible work, and his basses are the most resonant, and most playable basses i've touched. I even have a pair of Dingwalls :^)
    Your right the fanned fretboard is no problem, and shouldn't scare anyone off. Makes the B string really standout
    W/ that said....
    How do you like the FD-1 pickups (tone, aggressive quality, etc), and does your AbII have a two band eq?
    frank

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think those are the classiest looking bass bodies...I love the swoop at the bottom.

brad cook

16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Wicked bass man! That is a killer instrument. Did you see that Ken Lawrence fretless when you were there? It hurts me to think about it;) What a sweet bass!

17. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Guys, thanks for all the nice comments. I had never heard of Dingwall before I played it. It didn't take me very long to figure out that I'd be going home with it.

Adrian, I did play that Ken Lawrence - pretty sweet, although it has quite an unusual look.

FCM3, I like the pickups a lot. There is a ton of tonal variety. The neck pickup has that Reggae thump, the bridge is bright and clear, and the series and parallel settings give you everything in between. I didn't really get to hear it growl so much as that iAmp is so clean, which is what I'm after anyway. It has the Aguilar 2 band eq. Overall, the sound quality is very defined. I'm not great at describing tone - I hope this helps.

Shinster, I've never owned an "oiled finish" instrument. I hope it stands up okay!!

Cmdrsmirnof, go check it out. There is no signage on the outside of the store. It has a painted black exterior with the number 45 beside the door. Dave is only open from 1:00 - 5:30. Although, I kept him there until 7:00 twice, and he didn't care. He loves to talk gear and music.

DaveB, I feel a little cheated that you played with her before I did - I thought she was pure ;)

18. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Those fanned frets have fascinated me for a while. It seems like a great idea, and like it might be easier/more ergonomic to play than normal frets once you get used to them. I've never had a chance to try one, but I want to.

And that is one beautiful bass!

19. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I am kind of confused as to why the pups are at a different angle than the frets, bridge, and nut. Any ideas?

20. Well, the frets, bridge, and nut are fanned, so they're all at a different angle with each other. Which one of them should the pickups be parallel with?

Mike