1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My True-Bypass, Effect Chain Editor. Tell me what you think!!! :P

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheBassBloke, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Ok Guys, I was moving all my effects around the otherday and I brainstormed, tell me what you think, and if you'd buy it if it were on the shelf.

Its essentially a long bar for 10 pedals, and 20 foot buttons, and 10 displays, one for each pedal. There will be an edit button that you stomp and each display is given a number from 1 to 10. But pressing the button associated with each pedal, you can increment its number buy one, and when each pedal has its own number and no pedals have the same number, you can save the setup.

Now this number, is actually the pedals position in the signal chain, so when you're on stage, you can quickly edit the pedals position in the chain, or even all 10 pedals in the chain just by tapping your foot.

Also, if you stomp on the edit button twice, it erases the configuration you have set, and you then stamp on the pedals, in the that you want them in the signal change, and press save, and they're all configured.

The beauty of this system is that none of the Audio will run through any electronics, so even though the electronics are moving the pedal in the chain there will be no noise, no clicks, pops or hums, and most of all this will be 100% true bypass.

I'm thinking of selling it for around $200 to $300 dollars. From a fellow bass player's perspective, what do you think??

Thanks so much for reading :)

-T:bassist:

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Sounds like it could be quite handy. I'd consider getting one if it cost $250 or less

3. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I've always wanted something that actually changes the order of the pedals, $250 or less its a fair price

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Interesting idea. I have seen similar custom units like this.

Honestly, the vast majority of guitarists and bassists that I know tend to find a specific effects 'order' that works for them & stick with it. Of course, there is the occasional desire to relocate a delay or chorus, but generally most cats prefer the order fixed.

While I have seen units that do what you propose (without the individual numeric displays), your price point goal is significantly lower! That alone may make it an attractive product. Can you really employ a programmable midi switcher with a physical switching system for 10 devices for $300? Sounds impossible!

5. I don't know if I'd buy this because I'm kind of a frugal tool, but I could see this being really useful if you had maybe 3 loops of 3 with some patch cable attachments. That way you could experiment with some parallel switching as well. I am envisioning moving my phaser from the back end of my HOG loop to the back end of my BMS loop.

It's a great idea, but I don't think I'd be all about a universal WOBO switcher at that price without some parallel options.

I'm certain others would.

6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    If unicorns were real, would you buy one?

Kidding aside, if this was available for under 250 or in smaller sizes (3,4,6, etc), it would be killllller.

7. Awesome idea, but the practicality of the design is questionable.

Think about it. If you want every one of ten pedals to be interchangeable into any one of ten positions, then each pedal needs to have it's input and output independently switchable to/from ten different locations each. To do this using true bypass requires relays. Ten input and ten output relays per pedal multiplied by ten slots equals 200 relays.

This is why crosspoint FET switches were invented.

Making it click/pop free is also a noble idea, but true bypass is true bypass whether it uses relays or footswitches, and you're always going to encounter clicks and pops.

8. Add a wet/dry blend to each loop, and an adjustable buffer to the input and output sections, and I would snap it up.

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I think ten loops sounds like overkill for most people. I think usually there's one (or two, tops) pedals that it would be nice to have in two places, so a three-loop box would be good, but with so few loops it'd be easier to do it mechanically.

But usually when I get ideas about how many different places I want my effects, they usually involve weird mix ideas with parallel blended loops, feedback loops, expression pedals, momentary stomps, etc. It's never as simple as just moving them around. :(

10. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Gig Rig

11. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    the Gig Rig can't change the order of the effects.... or it can?