Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My TU-2 is on crack.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    So, I tuned my 5er tonight with it. Tried to tune B, E, A, D, G. Very simple right?

Wrong. The Boss seems to be 1/2 step off for the B and E string, but fine (very close anyway) for the rest. I checked it against another tuner, and of course my trusty ears, and all I can say is, ***? I always have it set to display the name of the note, never "bass" or "guitar" or whatever else it says on there.

Is there a way to "reset" these things, or is mine just toast?

thanks!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you sure you have it set on chromatic? Otherwise I see no reason this should happen.

3. I just purchased one the other day and used it in practice tonight. I tuned with it and the two guitarists tuned with a small seiko tuner, and they were both dead on, I cant imagine why your unit is doing that.

4. Yeah. Sounds like it needs to be smacked around... or it has already been smacked around. I've never heard of that before. Weird....

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    CHeck in the manual.

You can switch the calibration from 440, which may have happened inadvertantly. I can't remember how to switch it back.

The other option is you may have been reading the display at an angle so the small dot at the bottom that indicates # was hidden... *L* been there... done that... :bag:

Also, if it is out of whack, and less than 5 years old, BOSS will fix it... as long as you registered it...

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought it used, so I have no idea what it's been through. It's lived a fairly safe life in my pedal board, though it has played plenty. I am sure it's set to chromatic.

I think the inadvertant calibration thing has the most promise, anybody have the manual? Mine did not come with one. I'll check the boss site.

Thanks!!

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    :eek: do not go into the dark place :eek:

:D

8. You shouldn't need the manual. There is a 'mode' button on top which puts it into flat or double flat mode, so when it reads, for example, 'E', it's Eb or D.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, I'll check that when I'm back! Thanks!

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No kidding, they need help, badly.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Tried it today and it was fine, no 1/2 step difference at all. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I had something running in the RC-20 and didn't notice before I shut it off last night? I was tired.

Thanks everyone, but as usual it's probably just that Im an idiot. :p

12. Welcome to my world... :eek: