1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my tube amp blew up plllease help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 11, 2006.

1. tonight during out set, my amp started smoking and shut off. all of the tubes LOOK fine, they arent all cloudy or broken. i haven't checked the fuse yet. I beleive the problem was....on my cab, the jack is extremely loose, i had to means to fix it at that point in time so i just wung and and hoped it would stay connected. the sound started cutting out because of the poor connection, then some sparks shot out the back where the 2nd jack used to be but is now just a hole, and then my tube amp started smoking and stopped working. I read that you NEED a load on tube amps, so when my amp was cranked up but was not getting a solid connection with the cab VIA loose jack, then i think there would be no load present and that caused it to over heat?? how do i fix this kind of thing because crying and eating icecream is getting me nowhere :crying:

2. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    my gut tells me this isn't good. If it is because of the bad speaker connection and not having a load on the amp, you very may be looking at a blown tranny.

3. What kind of amp? What kind of ice cream? :confused:

4. late 90's fender dual showman guitar head, apple pie flavor icecream

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Bad cables shorted out, meaning the transformer blew out. Possible other damage but most tube heads blow out the output transformer. Defiantly.

The Good news is that any/most repair shops should be able to get that transformer and you should be up and running again shortly. Just make sure you get new speaker jacks along with the new transformer. I recommend new speaker cables too.

6. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    man that ice cream sounds good. my advice would be to keep eating it and soon enough you'll forget that you even play bass

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    an upgrade to speakons may be a good idea also since vibration is usually the cause of bad jacks.