Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Turn... NEW Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Apr 12, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey everyone, i got this new stingray a few weeks ago but just recently got pictures up. I LOVE this thing... it's got the piezo's which add a whole new sound to the bass. I'm currently using cold steel strings and I like them a little more than the EB nickel ones.

The bass arrived set up great... nothing buzzes, as long as the strings aren't new it loves to stay in tune... all in all a wonderful bass... i could only be happier if the fretboard was a little of that birdseye stuff... but i'm not complaining.

The sound is the greatest ever... its what i've had in my head since i started playing bass and doing the "i want" game GAS is definately on hold for a while now.

I know everyone does this... but i just wanted to share w/ you TB'ers and show you the pictures...[​IMG]

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    VERY NICE!

congratulations. its beautiful.

if only i had money..

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the artsy headstock shot.[​IMG]

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweet, my man. I love 'Ray 5's. I have two, one with the piezo.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I like neither the pearl blue finish nor the pearloid pickguard, but the most important thing is that this bass pleases you and makes you happy.

StingRay's are great basses anyway.

All the best,

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    congrats!! SWEET!!! aint it fun??:D

7. Congrats, Falsehood. It's always nice to welcome another member to the Musicman family. I like that two-tone blue.

Enjoy it!

Mike J.

8. Nice purchase. I'm hoping to join the Stingray club as soon as I get the money. I happen to love these in blue and with that pickguard, but it seems like every Ray5 I see is blue (here, on Ebay, at Guitar Center). Why is that?

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's a beaut! Here's her cousin.

[​IMG]

10. Nice Ray 5! I have mine on order - it should be here by the end of May. Black with matching headstock, tortoiseshell guard and rosewood board.

Pearl blue was my second choice. Great color! Enjoy and keep us updated.

11. Munji, you got a Ray too? I guess she's not your favorite, cause you usually just show the Lakland.

12. I think that's a great lookin' Ray! I have always wanted one, but never found "the one".

Congrats!

Jeff

13. how much does a stingray cost? there's a fiver at this one store near me thats in the 500 dollar range. I asked one of the guys there and he said a four string would cost about 100$ less.

14. Congratulations! Welcome to the club. I must admit I'm a little jealous, I wanted to get one exactly like that, but I couldn't find one that anyone had in stock. I was going to order one, then I saw one for sale locally. It was a great price so I bought it! SR5's totally rock!

I'd suggest that if you saw a SR5 for $500 Canadian, it was either a knockoff or stolen. The cheapest I've seen them new in Canada is about $1900 + tax (CAD) for a basic one. Steve's or Long and McQuade have close to the same prices. Both of them have stores in Toronto, which is pretty close to you. You can get used ones cheaper.

15. Nice bass man! Stingrays rule!:D

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That's beautiful!!! Right color, fretboard, and everything! Nice catch!:D

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    FalsehoodBass, We have identical Rays. I got a Ray 5 pearl blue w/ black perloid pickguard, maple fretboard and matching headstock as well.. I bought mine in July though.. IMO its the best looking color.. It just does something to me everytime I look at mine.. Congrats..

If I had a digital camera, i would post pics of mine.. but since ours are exactly alike, Just look at Falshoodbass' pics and you'll see what i've been loving :)

congrats on the new bass man, Hope you enjoy it as much as I do

18. I think if the 5 stringers had the same pickguard/control plate assembly that the 4's did, they'd look so much better. But that's a really purdy bass.

19. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey... its actually transparent blue... its hard to see from the scanned pic, but if you look close you can see the woodgrain... I just played my second show with it last night and i'm LOVING this bass... its just pure joy to play it....

And yea i agree.. i wish i could make it look like a 4 string with the metal control plate and the teardrop pickguard. If i had the $$ and the time i might look into modifying it to look that way, but i'm afraid that the 3-way pickup selector would get in the way.

and spacegoat.. yea i had to order it... i knew that if i didn't get it perfect i'd kill myself later... I thought that I got a good deal but it turns out it was just about normal.. i paid $1400 including tax.. which isn't bad considering all the extra goodies (piezo's etc)

thanks for all the good words... Munji--that's an awesome looking red too... i'm glad to finally own one of these.

20. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Nice!!!!Congrats!