Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Two New Elricks- Singlecut Four-string And Gold Standard Four-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    This is a long post, so I'll break it up into three- the third one has a sound and video sample.

I never thought it would happen, but I've found myself excited about playing four-string again. It started with my ogling the bolt-on four when I saw it in the Classifieds, and my wife decided that it would be my big Christmas present if I wanted it to. I went for it, although I was nervous about playing four-string again...I just hadn't played one in years and years that felt as natural as a five-string. When it arrived, I was more than relieved- I was psyched- it felt great, and I wanted more. Guess I just needed to play an Elrick four-string to get me to want to play them again :p

I'll do the fancy one first.

Elrick e-volution Singlecut Fretted Four-string
    34" scale
    Redwood burl top
    Mahogany body
    Bubinga veneers (I think)
    Three-piece maple neck
    Macassar ebony fingerboard
    Alder tone block (I think)
    Zero fret
    Removable ebony radiused ramp
    Bartolini soapbars
    Bartolini 18-volt NTMB pre

I sold my six-string singlecut in the hopes of having a four or five-string made just like it, and I stumbled across one online at Bass Club Chicago that was almost exactly that, and it was brand new as well.. Not to mention it has a 34" scale (which is not standard for Elricks) that I really like a lot. Beautiful, round sound, thick slap tone that I dig, very playable. It has a thicker neck than most Elricks, but it's still very comfortable....I actually am getting to like it more than my other basses (I always prefer a thicker neck to one that's too thin, as really thin necks make my thumb cramp up). I just put new strings on it so it's a bit less round sounding in the mp3/video, but I'm hoping I can deaden them soon enough. The ones that it came with sounded great, but they were a slightly thicker gauge than I usually use (they were medium-lights). Lightweight even with the mahogany body- probably 8.5 lbs.

I never really appreciated redwood burl until I got this bass; when in a darker room, the top looks pretty dark and undefined, but get it in good or natural light, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Turns out the bass was review in Guitar World's Bass Guitar magazine last year-

Here's some pics. I have much higher res ones if anyone's a collector and wants them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bella Grace approved:
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Elrick e-volution Gold Standard Fretted Four-string
    34" scale
    Transparent red finish
    Ash body
    Wenge or walnut veneers (I think)
    Bolt-on three-piece maple neck
    Bubinga fingerboard
    Removable ebony radiused ramp
    Bartolini X4 pickups
    Bartolini 9-volt NTMB pre

This one was a Christmas present to me from my wonderful wife. Bought it used from davidmwilson. According to Rob, this one used to be a fretless, but the original owner had another luthier (not Rob) put frets in it, which is why there's no zero fret. This bass has a much thinner sound than my Elricks with soapbars, but it's also very snappy and clear; has a great slap sound....I like it quite a bit. 34" scale as well. I'm going to take advantage of it's tone and use it as an alternate tuning bass; I may also string it up as a tenor bass. I've started working on some pieces with different tunings, and the bass works great for it- open notes and harmonics really ring out. I wish I could fit more Hipshot Xtenders on it. I really need to change the knobs though- someone put weird rubbery ones on it, and I'd like to get the standard ones Elrick uses (anyone know what kind they are?) Thinner profile and slightly thinner at the nut compared to the singlecut which makes it even better for slapping (for me, anyways). Very light weight- probably 8 lbs.

Pics- again, I have high res ones for any collectors out there:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a photo of my three Elricks remaining (I just sold the fretless to fund having a new one built with a 33" scale). Notice the difference between the older Elrick four and newer (now symmetrical) Elrick four headstock. Not pictured is my Bongo five-string, which I keep at a different house.
    [​IMG]

3. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, here's the sound samples. This has both of the four-strings being played on it. The whole thing is an improv, so be sure to cut me a little slack :bag:

Two Bass Jam .mp3 (4.4 mbs)
    Here is the video recording of the above .mp3 if you'd like to see how I played or switched basses.
    Two Bass Jam video (12 mb .wmv

Here are two little video clips of the singlecut I posted in the technique forum to show how I play 16ths at faster speeds. This is faster than I prefer to play though, and they're improv solos as well.
    Foru Fingers 1 .wmv (3 mb)
    Four fingers 2 .wmv (5 mb)

4. You have one beautiful collection there sir, you certainly wear your love and pride for Elrick basses high on your sleeve, and I think that's pretty damn cool.

-ryan-

5. Those are two killer basses! I can't tell which one I like better.

One observation though. The translucent red finish is on the body and headstock, but not the exposed maple on the heel... to me it looks a little odd. The bass still looks amazing. I bet it sounds like a million bucks too.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, all the bolt-on and hybrid Elricks have the maple (or wenge) heel exposed whether painted or with wood top. I'm not a huge fan of it either. Actually, quite a lot of builders do that for some reason, and I haven't seen one I really liked.

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very nice, Bryan. Both of them look and sound amazing. Great playing, too.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Holy crap, that red one is beautiful! Wow!!!

Santa-wife was REALLY good to you this year.

9. I imagine that the heel of the neck is left unfinished for fitting issues. I'm sure the neck and the body are finished seperately, and then assembled once everything is dry. I guess it would just be too much work to tape off the areas you wouldn't want finished, just easier to not do it at all.

-ryan-

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like them both, the singlecut is beautiful.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I love the singlecut. I don't think i'm too fond of the red one...yet. Give me about 2 days :D

Goregous!

-Mark

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Geoff, you should be used to that now...

[​IMG]

13. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    sweet basses ... congrats.

14. It's definitely easier, but I know that F Bass does it and IMO it improves the look of the bass by keeping the consistency of the look of the body. It shouldn't be too much more work if you are already spraying the headstock anyway, taping certainly isn't the issue.

Plain maple like this isn't so bad, but I've seen it done with multilam necks and IMO it clashes a lot with the look of painted bodies.

15. Nothing gets me used to that. I undestand why it's done, though. On the Dingwalls, the headstock isn't being sprayed, so I can understand why it is being done in that case (especially taking the price point into account. If you're already spraying the headstock to match the body, then why not just spray the heel too. It isn't a huge deal, but IMO it maintains a sort of consistency in the look of the instrument.

I've owned an Elrick and they play and sound great. That's more important than whether the front of the heel is painted. I don't want to sidetrack this thread about Bryan's deadly new basses. Overall, Bryan's red bass is my second favorite red bass. His SC is probably my favorite 4 string.

16. you would think that for how much those cost that they could put some nice control knobs on them. not just some cheep looking plastic ones

lowsound

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

To be honest, it took me a while to get used to it too.

That red bass is completely bangin'.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D I love the control knobs that Elrick uses (the bad ones on the red bass someone else put on). Most high-end basses use sturdy black plastic knobs...hell, they're on Foderas too.

And no prob on the painted/unpainted debate guys- I post to get people's honest opinions, not just compliments, so it's a-ok with me to branch off on how they're finished, ask why there are ramps on the bass, why haven't I found a place inside my house for the treadmill so it's been sitting on the patio for three months and now is in the pictures, etc. etc. ;)

19. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I've had crazy GAS for that Elrick SC ever since I saw the review in Bass Guitar...now that I know how it sounds, it's even worse!

Congratulations.

20. Those 4-strings are awesome, Bryan! Nice collection you've got.