1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My UL112 arrived today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-raj, Apr 13, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    ...and it's really light and small!

Still haven't had an oppty to play through it yet, but I can't wait to get home to try it out.

Now all I need is too find a small, light and powerful head to go with it. All I have at the moment is my rack rig and that's overkill (vtype & 1600watts) for club gigs and rehearsals. Any suggestions?

Maybe I'll have to wait till the PS600's come out.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Mikebass uses a Focus with his, and loves it. I also found the EpiUL/Focus matchup a nice one, and that's about as light as you can go. Also, the Focus (either the II or the new III) has enough power to drive a second 112UL if you ever need more ooomph for louder gigs. There are Focus Series II's that come up for sale every once in a while from people 'upgrading' to the Series III.... the older and newer ones sound very similar IMO.

Lot's of positives on the Markbass LMII from the EU and Canada players... they haven't landed in the US yet.

Finally, the iAmp500 would also be cool... very small, and plenty of watts for the very efficient EpiUL line IMO.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Congrats on the new baby Epi. It is scary that the UL's are so light. I would think that the ampage of choice is the Thunderfunk, the Eden WT550, Epifani 502...

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Those are all great options also. Given the single 1120UL is so light, and that it has such a small footprint, I was trying to recommend amps that are very easily carried in a bag, and that would fit easily on the top of that small cab... hence the Focus and the the LMII.... both small enough to put in a small carry bag (the Focus comes with a very nice one), and the iAmp500 has a great one available.

I know the above heads could fit in a bag (I think Eden offers one for the TW550 and the 405, and Epi offers one). However, I had a bag for my iAmp800, which is about the same weight at the Epi502 and WT550, and I found it too heavy to easily carry by shoulder strap.

Anyway... minor point, all the above would sound great.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    There a small amps and then there are micro ones, the Focus, Markbass, etc would fall into the micro category, 600 watts of power small enough to fit in the front pocket of an Undercover gig bag, which means bass and amp on your back and lightweight cab in one hand, it doesn't get more portable than that for the amount of sound you get out of it.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ken, have you had the chance to try a Markbass LMII yet?

7. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    The Epi 502 is a great choice, BUT, it is a 4 ohm amp and the 112UL is an 8 ohm cab. You would need two UL112's or add a single UL110 if using the 502.

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Congrats on a killer cab!!

As KJung said, I use a pair of them with a Focus S3 (Series III the 800watt one-hence S3).
    Anyway, I can load in both cabs, amp & bass in one trip.
    Cab in each hand, amp in it's little gig bag and bass in gig bag.

And I can blow down walls with the rig!!

I love the Focus S3 for it's transparent tone. Not as "pre" EQ'ed as say the Eden stuff and the like.
    And don't believe the stuff you hear, it has goobs of low end at high volumes!!

On thing though, with those cabs and that head, you hear EVERYTHING in your playing.
    It's not as forgiving as some amps and such.

You can find Focus S2's around used and it would be a killer amp for that cab.
    Or any of the Eden small amps, WT550, TT405 or TT330. I think Low Down Sound may have a used 405 or something in.
    www.lowdownsound.com -give them a call.
    No experence with the iAmp, but it gets rave reviews.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey Andy. I have not.. they don't seem to have made it to the US yet (or I haven't seen one anywhere at this point). Our buddy Wil has a standing order for one when they roll into the US. I've just been reading the reviews from TBers across the pond and in Canada (mostly on the LMII"s), and all seems positive. The cab reviews seem to be mixed at this point.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

How's it going! The Epi112UL is so efficient, that the 300 watts or so that the 502 would pump into it at 8ohms would probably still sound pretty awesome IMO!

11. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I didn't mention it, but Club Bass in Toronto has the MarkBass stuff.
    I played them when we were up there. Good sounding amps.
    Kinda Eden like in it's tone. But it didn't blow me away or anything.

The cabs were OK. Again, didn't kill me or anything.

The Epifani cabs are a lot better sounding IMO. More open and natural. You get out what you put in for the most part.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    No Orange gear? :confused:

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wow, thanks guys!

I think that it is down to:
    Clarus(new)
    Focus S3(new)
    Focus S2(used)
    WW/U (yeah right... in my dreams :rolleyes: )
    iAmp500(used)
    Epi PS600(new)
    Epi UL502(new)

he he he he...
    We only make one head, a heavy 200watt tube one... which wouldn't serve my needs for a light/small/clear mini rig...

...Maybe for my lo-fi rig :)D ):
    AD200B + 2x15 blue sparkle tuck and roll Kustom cab.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just to make you feel better, the Focus sounds better with that cab than the WW Ultra IMO... more bottom, nicer treble response with the Epi cab and crossover. So, you can save your cash and cross that one off the list!

Also, the iAmp500 is way less cash than the Epi502... so you could go 'new' on that and not break the bank.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

Ken

PS Orange Amps... I've always had a soft spot for those. I don't know how long you've been associated with the company, but I remember making the trip to 'Fast Eddie's in Marissa Illinois, and checking out all the HiWatt, Orange, Marshall, etc. stuff that came in for sale after major tours (this would have been early to mid 70's). It was Bob Hiel's (I think that's how you spell it) old shop, or at least he was associated with the shop. He used to do sound for major tours, and he would take in the backline on consignment at the end of the tours. For a teenager, it was pretty cool to see those massive Sunn bass rigs, etc. I remember a whole truck load of Orange amps (I think maybe from a 'Head East' tour, or something) lined up against the wall. Cool!

15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    FYI, there is a used Focus S2 on bassgear.com right now.

16. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I asked Nick about availability on the PS600, should be shipping prior to NAMM/Austin... hmm, can I wait that long?

I love shopping for gear. Paying for it is a different story. :D

on it.:smug:
    I've only been their (Orange) national sales mgr, since last May... I wasn't working for them in the 70's, heck I was only born in '73. :D

18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Congratulations on getting the Epifini UL-112! I hear they're great cabs.

Great amps I'm sure but I'd sure recommend checking out the Eden WT-550 with the UL-112 before you make your final decision. It just kills with the Berg HT-112. I tried a few other amps through the Berg and nothing has come close to the sound of the Eden yet.
    I hear the Epifani cab isn't voiced the same as the Berg but I suspect that the Eden would still sing through that cab.

At 20 lbs., I'd still put it in the samll/light catagory (with a gig bag). Plus it's puts out 300/500/750W RMS @ 8/4/2 ohms and can be had for $700-800 used.

19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Would be great to see a Thunderfunk in a WW or AI sized chassis!

I've been really interested since I first heard about them on TB but have a love for the sound of my Focus 2 and have little desire to go to a larger package, although I do think about the Thunderfunks all the time! ;)

Think there'd be any market for a Focus sized Thunderfunk?