My Ultimate EMG J Replacement Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkinthetrunk, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

After many in depth emailing between us, Mr. John Kennedy of Pulp Logic delivered an absolutely stunning set of three Jazz bass pickups for my Chris Stambaugh made Space Bass. His unique pickups were housed inside spalted maple covers, which beautifully complimented the top wood of my bass. John is a TBer and I became aware of him with this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555487&highlight=

I purposely installed these pickups to hear how they would sound with the onboard preamp (East UK BTB-01) in the same settings as the originally installed EMG J pickups, it was immediately obvious that these pickups were not merely just EMG clones. I now have to cut back both bass and treble from their original settings. Without doubt, John's pickups have a very broad frequency range, much wider than the EMG Js. Personally, I like the sound of EMG pickups, but feel they sometimes have the tendency to make all onboard preamps sound the same, not with these pickups. These pickups have the clarity of EMGs, but with the character of…let’s say, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz(ish). It is also my opinion that these pickups sound more like single coil pickups than the EMG Js.

I couldn't be any happier with the sound and looks of these pickups. Plus, John is absolutely a class act with first rate customer service. He was able to decipher my cryptic (and often childish) description of tone that I was searching for. I strongly suggest contacting John and chatting about your perfect tone, if you're not satisfied with your current pickups. This man has absolutely nailed the tone I requested in all three of my pickups. I can't express enough how happy I am with the tone of these pickups! At last, I'm finally satisfied with the tone of this bass!

Attached Files:

2. metalbob

metalbob

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    Sweet very nice really lights up your bass!!!!

3. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Classy Pups

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Very nice work on those pickup shells!

Yes, EMGs sound like EMGs and it's hard to EQ the to get another tone out of them.

5. Funkinthetrunk

Thanks!

So true, so true....so this was a God sent. And since these were a drop in replacement for EMGs, I just used the same 3 pin connector.

6. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Wow, those pickups totally finish off the look of your bass, very nice.

7. Funkinthetrunk

Thanks! I think so too. Although, I sometimes miss the obnoxiously outstanding white pickup covers. The best thing is the difference in sound...a definite improvement for me.

8. Pulplogic

Pulplogic

Feb 2, 2007
    San Diego
    Thanks for the complement. I have been hearing great things about your pickups. If I wasn't into active pickups I would be trying a pair.

I really like the sound of EMG pickups, in fact, I had been using them until I started making my own. The cool thing about active pickups is the synergy that can be achieved between the coils output impedance and the buffers input Z. Exploiting this synergy opens up the possibilities for lowering the coils impedance, which is nothing new (Alembic).

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Thanks. My first pickups were low Z active pickups. I plan on reintroducing them in the near future. The passive neo pickups were so similar sounding that I didn't see the need for the active pickups, but I'm going to redesign them.

I was using EMG pickups as well, but was always looking for a more extended frequency response and a wider palette of tones.

The thing about EMG pickups are they are not low Z coils, but are high Z pickups with buffers. They wind quite a lot of wire on their pickups (about 4,500 turns of 43 AWG for the J coil).

I was going more for an Alembic type of tone with my Low Z pickups.

10. Funkinthetrunk

That makes 3 of us. Well, John's pickups certainly fits this bill. You're gonna have to ask him for the specific numbers...I just know it has more lows and highs....slightly more mids (not as scooped as EMGs). Since we had EMGs in common, it made it so much easier to talk to him about the tone...For me, these pickups "fixed" everything that I didn't like about EMGs, while retaining what I did like.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021