Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my ultimate od, and splitting

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kubicki_heath, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Kubicki_heath

Kubicki_heath

Dec 12, 2004
    Newcastle
    righto, ive foud my ultimate od, an ibanez TS10 Tube Screamer, this thing is just so warm and fuzzy, but i find that when i use it i lose too much bottom end, so what im wondering is there a box purchaseable like an a/b box without the switch so i can mix a direct sound with the effects area, cos i find myself liking guitar based effects more than bass based, im also using a crybaby original gcb-95.......so basically this is what id like,

bass ==> a/b box thingy ==> crybaby ==> tubescreamer ==>a/b box ==> amp

but have the effects in channel A, then a direct link from both a/b boxes in Channel B, but without switches so they both get mixed in the seccond a/b box

2. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    You might want to look into a Voo Doo Labs Sparkle Drive as opposed to adding another device.

It's essentially a tube screamer w/ a blend knob.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, it's a great od pedal. I have mine off to Robert Keeley for a mod to retain more low end, but the blend as it is is very good.

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I use a Boss LS-2 line selector (originally suggested to me for a similar problem by Steve Lawson among others). It has several modes but the one I use lets me mix the output of my Zoom BFX-708 (that I think robs bottom end) with my original signal and adjust the levels between them. I saw some reports where folks thought the LS-2 sucked tone but I personally am very happy with it (and don't think it sucks tone, YMMV).

So in the mode I use it normally it is just bypassed and when I stomp on it I get a mix of my effects and dry signal. Not cheap but it does the job.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had an LS-2 for awhile, and IT robbed my bottom end. Try switching back and forth with and without it, and you'll notice it.

Of course, YMMV. :cool:

6. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I believe you can get Looopers (http://www.loooper.com) with a blend; a lot of folks around here recommend them highly.

7. yeah i was gonna suggest trying a simple bypass looper with a blend control!

heard lots of people using these live to good effect! you basically add a true bypass and blend knob to any pedal or number of pedals!

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    True, but as they're passive blends your mileage may vary. I'd suggest talking with Dave Boggs (Mr Loooper)

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Brought this thread back cuz I am interested as to the results of this mod, if you have it back yet. Please give some details. What did he charge?

10. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I dunno the Sparkle Drive mod, but I've been playing through an R. Keeley-modified Boss BD2 for about a year. Best bass overdrive I've had so far, and I've tried a lot of 'em. Very touch-responsive, cleans up very well, great smooth decay, it's like "my tone", just overdriven.

Its only flaw is that it gets maybe a bit loose in the low end. It has tons of lows, but when you distort 'em they get a bit mushy.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Don't have it back yet. Here's the details:
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=21
    In my case, it was modding for moddings sake, not because I was unhappy with the sound.

12. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    OIC. Post when you get it back. I have been interested in a sparkle drive lately and the mod sounds good. Also that BD-2 Phat mod sound cool, heard that its good. Guess I'll have figure which is better for me, leaning towards Sparkel I think.