1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My ultimate PJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StraffordMike, Mar 11, 2016.

1. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    so I recently purchased an Am Std. P-Bass with the full intention of modifying it into a PJ.
    Now, I've read all the posts( dr. Dimento..... etc) and I'm still not sure which way to go.
    Should I just buy the matching custom shop Jazz pup from Fender, or buy a matching set. I want to keep this passive and I'm definitely on a budget. Also I'd like to try using "stacked" knobs( is that right?) so I can control volume and tone on each pup.

2. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I have a PJ American Deluxe and the combination of pickups N3 for the bridge and regular P (?) for the neck sounds good.
    I also love the Aguilar PJ set that is really well matched. Also to be considered the Area PJ from DiMarzio. This is a nice budget option. I have this set as well but I have yet to mount it.
    If I had to pick one, the Aguilar PJ would be my recommendation.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    LoveThatBass likes this.
  3. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    X2 on the Dimarzio Area PJ set (DP251).

Affordable and they sound great in an alder body Warmoth PJ I currently have.

4. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    My own ultimate P/J has a GZR set,........ just an opinion, 2 tone controls on a passive P/J, or a Jazz usually yields a surprisingly poor result, one tone is not only easier to dial in, but, sounds a lot better. (I've tried 2). stacked knobs is how you could do it. My reasoning for that opinion is that a passive tone control is used to dial back a bit of treble, on the signal you send from a bass, one knob can do that better than 2, you won't get a special usable mix with 2 tone controls, (just opinion).

Laklandfan likes this.
  5. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Have tried a p and j that were not a marched set . Not really happy with the results . I agree with the two posts above about getting a matched set.

acebase62 likes this.
  6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I have found matched sets don't match the way I want them too, the J is still too weak. A vintage P is always hotter than a vintage J and a hot P easily overpowers a hot J.

My setup is a Duncan SPB-1 with a SJB-3b.

7. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I went with Dimarzio Model PJ for
    "My ultimate PJ".
    I believe the magic in mine is in its wiring. While some may like to blend i don't care for dissimilar pickups blended i went for a three-way toggle. Neck- Series- Bridge.

Between that and the Tonestyler tone knob the range of sounds i can get from one passive bass is quite large. Again I'll recommend to anyone thinking about a Tonestyler to get 500k pots.

8. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Is yours wired with one master volume or one for each pickup along with the toggle?

9. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Yes one 500k master.
    Its actually a push/pull to switch the bridge from series/parallel, neat experiment. Though i leave it in series always. Parallel wired dual coil bridge pickups sound weak to me but others might like it.

The goals for that upgrade were: maximum tonal flexibility using the 3 existing holes, and all passive.