My ultra-portable setup consideration

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philipc, Sep 17, 2006.

1. I need a very small amp that will fit in a rucksack or something (as I have to get the bus to my friend's house to jam). Volume luckily isn't terribly important as she just plays acoustic guitar.

Weight should therefire be about 10-13 lbs. Only something with a 6.5" speaker can really be possible in this weight, luckily large volume output isn't important, as I said before.

The options I am considering are:

Peavey Max 126

10w, 11 lbs, 6.5" speaker.
    http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/114539/number/00497400/cat/12/begin/1/MAX%AE+126.cfm

Or,

Roland Cube Monitor CM-30.

30w, 12.5 lbs, 6.5" speaker.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CM-30/index.html

Not strictly a bass amp but 30w and a 6.5" speaker just like the Peavey. Marginally heavier but only just. Multiple inputs which could be useful for looping guitar and vocals using my RC-20XL.

The CM-30 goes for about £120 and the Max 126 for about £45. I'm leaning towards the CM-30 because I think it'd be useful forever (with bass and anything else) wheras i'd outgrow the Max 126 as soon as my transportation situation improved.

Any ideas or comments?

Philip.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'd go for the 30w. do you plan on performing anywhere? or just making music together alone... :D

3. Hehe, well perhaps. We have some friends who put on gigs at a big ol' 16th century church, but they have a PA obviously...but yeah I think the 30w one would be much more versatile. Plus you can get two and link them together which would make for some stereo fun!

4. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
  5. Hey Philip

I recently picked up a used peavey Microbass (similar to the Max 126, but its 20w I think) for home practise and for jamming in a similar situation to you...one or two acoustic guitars, even a light-handed drummer with brushes/rods sometimes. It fits the bill perfectly...love the weight factor, and while a tiny speaker will obviously not get you a big sound, it is more than enough for what I need.

I did not have to make a choice about wattage however, as I already own a large 200w Yorkville combo that gets used in louder situations. It might well be advantageous to have a little more power for other jamming situations down the road. The ultimate solution that I can think of is the Gallien Krueger mb-150 (150w, 23 or so lbs) but its quite expensive.

6. I have Roland CM30. I use it for practising at home and am happy with it. The overal sound is pretty neutral - relatively flat, without extra high or low/mid-low frequencies. It can't handle low B on high volume, but with 4 string can get loud enough for jam with 2 acoustic guitars and singers. HTH :)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021