Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Uncle's computer got hit by "Bube.m" virus which modified explorer.exe...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Sep 21, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, I'm usually quite good at this getting rid of viruses/trojans thing, but this has me stumped. My uncle uses Antivir Free, which, after executing a program or two, usually notifies you about explorer.exe being infected by "Bube.m.1" but fails to clean it.

As a result, the system comes to a complete halt and executing programs becomes impossible, let alone restarting the computer without resetting it. I've been googling around (couldn't find any articles for the "Bube.m" variant), and apparently, replacing the infected explorer.exe file with a clean one is the best way to get rid of Bube and its variants. What's the best way to do this? The computer seems to work a bit better in safe mode. Where do I get a clean explorer.exe that'll work with his system?
    It looks like a tool called ERD commander lets you do this, but it's rather pricy.

I have no idea where he picks up all those things, but my guess is the fact that he keeps on ignoring my advice to stop using the copy of XP his son-in-law burned for him and pony up for a legal copy may have something to do with it. :rolleyes:

Oh, I ran McAffee Stinger in safe mode and it didn't pick up anything, by the way.

Bonus question: his computer doesn't play DVDs any more because the DVD codecs, including the MPEG 2 codec, seem to be missing. How did this happen? I thought Windows XP supports DVD out of the box.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks, JMX, I'll give those removal instructions a try, let's hope they take care of Bube.m as well.