1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My V-4B Sizzles and Buzzes - Tech Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fair Warning, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

I have my old 1970's vintage V-4B power plug hooked into a power strip. I have flipped the power strip switch to the ON position, with the amp still in the off position and have heard audible sizzles and crackle going on for a few seconds (sound is coming from the head).

This is the first that I have noticed this. The amp works fine and gets great sound and has never quit. I have just found it odd that I am getting this noise with the amp power still off. There is something going on in there when the power cord gets juice.

Any cautions or suggestions?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What happens without the strip?

3. Sound is coming from the head itself, or from the speaker connected to the head?

If it's the head itself, then I'd open it up and look for:
    -a loose connection or possible short
    -a bad power switch
    -the "death cap" could be failing

DO NOT USE until this is resolved. A short to the chassis could cause electrocution...fatal.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    +1 to what Bill said.

It could also be a short in the outlet socket.

Whatever the problem, it could be a fire hazard. Leave the amp unplugged. It needs to be looked at.

5. Fair Warning

The amp head is completely off, and I click on the power strip with the amp power cord attached.

Yes....I will have my man Andy at RevAmp take a look and give it a clean bill of health so I can reley on it.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    An excellent choice if I may say! :)

7. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    +1

Many things are cool to DIY. Anything electrical, not so much. A good tech will not only make you head sound better(if needed), but will make sure it's safe as well.

8. Fair Warning

I picked this head up about 6 months ago. It has been going strong, and I plan to use it more for gigs. Andy has not seen it yet, and he deserves to give it the run through.

Cheers all

9. Could well just have a power switch that is starting to fail, popping and sizzling grease in the switch.

10. Fair Warning

It could be something simple like that. I guess I would feel much better knowing what else is lurking inside that might cause me some issues.

11. Believe me, I am the last person that would be talking you out of a trip to your amp tech. :)

12. Yep, just because it might be a "simple" problem (for example, the switch) does not lessen the need to have it fixed.

Even more important, even a simple problem can still present a major safety hazard.