Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My venture into the unholy depths of the 6 string bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angus, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So, there it is. Im getting a 6 string. Whee! Dont know how the C will be practical, but maybe ill work it in there somehow. Im getting this bass, the Peavey Cirrus (wenge/walnut, hopefully they can customize it to put a birdseye maple fretboard on it), and and jumping straight into the evil depths that is a 6 string bass player. So im the another mini-john turner convert.

Anyone got anything to say? Flames? Tips? Anything?

I feel so special now, im the youngest person with the most strings! :)

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    If all goes well, I will be joining you into the "unholy depths". What hath John Turner wrought?....:)

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool, but you guys are one short. that last string is the killer. :D

also, angus, if you get the inclination, try stringing F#-B-E-A-D-G. might sound good.

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    also, hey are you iksnay on the salas bass? what's up with that one?

5. Ted

Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    I doubt they would customize a Cirrus as you mentioned. If they did, you'd be looking at a delay of 6 months at the least. IMO, pau ferro is a great fingerboard wood. It looks great with the Cirrus body woods, and sounds fine.

6. The more strings you have, the more Randy will give you to do!

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    How old are you MegaAngus?

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the profiles have an age field. look it up.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh John, im definitely leaning towards that, if i can find the strings. Called Carl Thompson? Did you ever follow up on that? I definitely want to experiment with the F#...much more useful than the C.

And yes, Salas die. The silly ba$tard wanted about $2k for the 6 string...so i was like NO WAY.

And now im NOT sure of what im gonna do for a bass...Evan at bass nw told me to stay away from the Cirrus, as theyve had a TON of bad experience with it. Anyone got a second suggestion? (Gotta have double pickups!)

Slaphappy, definitely! Im going to call him soon, so it should be fun! The 6 would definitely be the lesson bass.

Lfabara...i just turned 14.

Anyone help? I neeeeed a 6 string!

10. Well, if I were in the market for a 6, I would try to hunt down the Yamaha John Patitucci (sp?) signature model. Looks great! And higher end Yamahas are excellent. (Angus, all of Randy's basses are Yamahas). Anyway, I would want to try one of those....

If 2k makes you shudder, then that eliminates the obvious six string choice; Ken Smith.

11. Hey, just crested 60 posts; how much longer till I'm a senior member? I'm more than twice as old as Angus, should I should at least be an....advanced member ;)

Kidding, JT. :p

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, and i have 10x as many posts!

The JP signature would be perfect...but i dont have THAT much money. Im THINKING about the Tune Bullseye at Bass NW, and maybe i could wrangle a deal out of them.

I LOVE the JP sig, but i cant seem to find on in the price range.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh, and what kind of Yamaha's does he have? Does he have 6? (4,5,6, fretted&fretless)?

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    ::in dr.evil voice:: we shall call him mini-jt :D Hope the 6 is a good one. that's all

15. So, Evan is a Yamaha dealer; did you discuss the JP with him, or try one of their other Yamaha 6's? And what IS the price range for a JP...I thought it would be under 2k?

Randy has a fretted Yamaha 4, a fretted Yamaha 5, and a beautiful fretless Yamaha 6. Actually, all three of his Yams are really purdy.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Cool! Well, i havent DISCUSSED it yet...i might go down there real soon. Check it out, you know? They have a TRB 6 there, but i HATE rosewood boards. Cant stand it. So i dont know what ill do. Hell, if i can get a TRB-JP for less than the Tune...its MINE. :)

17. There ya go...just go down and play around with the things, then have a discussion with Evan...he can be very accomodating and is very fair. There should be quite a number of sixes down there at any given time, anyway. Let me know how the JP plays. I don't want a 6, but am still curious as to how you like it.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, id talk to Pat, hes the one that knows me! :)

They dont have a JP there now, but i HAVE played one, when they had one a while ago. Its AWESOME. Wide, but awesome. The one they have there now is pretty much guitar center quality. I dont like it! Plays the same, basically, as the JP, but not quite as good.

But hopefully i can get a deal on the Tune! Its neckthru, and thats good.

Hehe, start with Randy, and a six string, at the same time! Uh-oh! Im gonna die! :eek: :D

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, you know what i'm gonna say :D. other than that, though, what are you looking for? neckthru? bolt-on? what kind of electronics? i would advise neck thru for the low F#.

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well John, John DiMaggio said to expect it to be $1250-1300. But then it was $2k.

Yeah, im THINKING the tune, but not sure. Its neckthru...but ive have to replace nut for the F#, and dont want to do that until i know i can get good strings from Carl.